Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 25th January 2008, 16:56   #1
DonStarks
grizzled California vet

Minneapolis in February

I'm from the San Francisco bay area and may be spending a few days birding in the Minneapolis area in early February while my wife visits friends. Any suggestions on what might be out (besides me)? I'll be looking mostly for winter wanderers from more northerly areas. Any help is appreciated.
Old Friday 25th January 2008, 17:54   #2
spottedtowhee
Birder

Hi

1) Check out the MOU listserv archives for January and February (when it is up)

http://www.moumn.org/pipermail/mou-net_moumn.org/

2) If you have a chance, drive up north to Duluth for a day (about 2 hours north of Minneapolis). Northern Hawk Owls and other boreal species are quite common around there. Plus, gulls on Lake Superior.
Old Friday 3rd October 2008, 22:12   #3
bkrownd

Too bad I didn't see this at the time it was posted. Anyhow, with winter approaching I'll comment for the archives. Within the cities there will be a lot of birds hanging around through winter. The usual robins, jays, crows, sparrows, juncos, shrikes, chickadees, etc. Many woodpeckers and creepers - they were the easiest to watch and encounter. Some waterfowl, eagles and hawks. Last time I was in MN in February I concentrated on the river valleys, in Crosby Farm Regional Park in St. Paul and the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, just south of Minneapolis. Nice to be out of the wind down there, too.

There are bird shops around the metro area that can help. (seems like an amazing concept,

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: