Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 12th July 2011, 14:31   #1
BoonHogganbeck

Sax Zim Bog in Late August

I'm going to be in MN for the last week of August and was considering a one-day excursion to Sax Zim.

I'm interested in seeing the following species:

Great Grey Owl
Black Backed Woodpecker
Black-billed Magpie
Boreal Chickadee
Sedge Wren
Bohemian Waxwing
LeConte's Sparrow
Brewer's Blackbird
Evening Grosbeak

Can anyone provide me with any information concerning their status during the last week of August/first week of Sept? What's the likelihood of finding any of these species during this time frame?

I've started looking at the data on e-bird concerning Sax Zim but was hoping I could get some first-hand, local birder insight.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Tuesday 12th July 2011, 17:06   #2
beakgeek

Leconte's Sparrow & Sedge Wren should be easy to find in the right habitat. Black-billed Magpie is hit or miss. Everything else is easier to get in Winter. Get a copy of Kim Eckert's Bird's of MN and it will give you a good idea of where to go to look for things.

Sign up on MOU-NET and you can track what is being seen, There are lot of birder's from that area that post regularly.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: