• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Mattamuskeet recommendations? (1 Viewer)

dwminnich

I'm making a long day trip tomorrow, and haven't been before. Does anyone have any recommendations for "don't miss" sights/locations. Hoping to do some digiscoping. Thanks,

dwminnich - I saw your post too late to offer any help as I was just there this past fall. Did you find what you were looking for?

Steve

Steve,

I did, thanks. It was an impromptu decision with a last minute post, so I didn't really expect to hear anything, but thanks. It was a gorgeous, 60 degree day, and I left early enough to get there by sunrise. Luckily, I was there on one of the days without a hunt going on, so had full run of the area all day. On hunt days, the road from the visitor center eastward is off limits until 1:00 pm. Recorded 35 species, and will post some pictures shortly.

--dave

Some pictures from the trip

OK, as promised, a few digiscoping shots from my day trip to Lake Mattamuskeet. All these shots were using a Canon S100/Celestron Regal F-ED 80 scope/factory 20-60 zoom EP.

IMG_3210.jpg Great Egret. These were all over the place, so plenty of opportunity for good shots.

IMG_3341.jpg Tundra Swans. According to the statistics the staff at the refuge posted, there are 25,000-35,000 of these wintering here this year. From everything I can find, only Tundra, not Trumpeter, Swans winter at the lake, although the range of the Trumpeter Swan has evidently been changing in recent years. I didn't see any that I could definitively ID as Trumpeters. These were about 200 feet away.

IMG_3188.jpg Near the visitor center there is a short, boardwalk nature trail. It winds through a cypress swamp, and was absolutely filled with woodpeckers. In addition to the Pileateds (I saw 5 at one point), there were Downy, Hairy, Red Bellied, and Northern Flickers. This Pileated was about 150 feet off, through some thick understory brush.

IMG_3301.jpg Immature Tundra Swan.

IMG_3133.jpg Northern Pintails.

All in all, a very good day.

--dave

Last edited:
Some nice shots, dwminnich. I have never noticed the little yellow lore spot on the Pileated. Glad to hear the weather was good. We hit it at the wrong time and need to go back for the Rails we never found.

Steve

If you do Mattamuskeet again, I will highly recommend Alligator River as well. Not only a lot of the same species but the chance for Black Bear and Red Wolf as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back