Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 19th June 2015, 03:28   #1
huffdaddy80

Can someone identify this bird????

I attach a picture of the bird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4115.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	547983  
Old Friday 19th June 2015, 03:39   #2
Gretchen

Yes, this is a Green Heron. Perhaps its a bit more common to see them on a pond or lake edge than in a tree, but the reddish neck and greenish back make clear what bird it is. You can read about it here on bird forum (this link). Interestingly it's the American Birding Association's bird of the year (read here). Definitely a fun bird!

Welcome to the Bird Forum. I don't know if you are near the well known bog (Zimmer-Sax??). By the way, if you'd like help identifying birds, you might try the Bird ID subforum - people there more frequently.
Old Friday 19th June 2015, 03:42   #3
huffdaddy80

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Old Friday 19th June 2015, 13:26   #4
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
.... Welcome to the Bird Forum. I don't know if you are near the well known bog (Zimmer-Sax??). By the way, if you'd like help identifying birds, you might try the Bird ID subforum - people there more frequently.
The well known bog referred to above is the Sax Zim Bog in Minnesota. It is visited by many birders. I have been there several times and always get some nice birds!

And "Huff" I would also like to welcome you to the BirdForum website. We are glad to have you aboard!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th June 2015, 16:16   #5
huffdaddy80

I just looked up the Sax Zim Bog that is about 3 hours from were I live. That looks like a place I need to go. Thanks for the information.
Old Sunday 21st June 2015, 02:23   #6
Gretchen

Sorry my Minnesota geography isn't better - I've lived there a few years, but still mostly know the south and Twin Cities. Lots of nice birding places around though, so you may find something closer that's quite interesting too.
Old Sunday 21st June 2015, 11:50   #7
David in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffdaddy80 View Post
I just looked up the Sax Zim Bog that is about 3 hours from were I live. That looks like a place I need to go. Thanks for the information.
It's also mentioned in the great movie The Big Year, which is worth seeing of you haven't.
Old Sunday 21st June 2015, 23:12   #8
huffdaddy80

That is ok Gretchen as far as your geographical knowledge. You were a big help identifying the bird. We found that she is a mother with at least 3 little one in the nest. It is very exciting to have her feel at home in the woods. The reason we think that she has at least 3 is that we see the egg shells below the nest, and at this point we are giving her the space she needs. I will have to check out that movie David thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: