• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller ED (1 Viewer)

Well it appears to me that Opticron have a finger in each pie-with the Natura 8 x 32 being from Mojave/Countryman lineage:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p124549-op...rjBQQs3yAxt3eLAWZsxtPJe7KVL6u8camYhoChxvw_wcB

Whilst the new traveller and its stats may suggest shared blood with the M7/Lynx/B3.

Could be wrong though! On paper at least the better close focus of the traveller appeals more to me, but may be totally different overall preference when compared in person.

Frank ..... Are the objectives of the new Taveller BGA ED 8X32 actually larger than the 8X30 Maven B3? I wonder how they can be close relatives with a different objective size. That seems to be a fundamental change. Also, the weight of 15.9 oz shown in the specs seems more in line with a 30mm than a 32mm.

If it is a true 32mm with possibly the easier eye placement that goes with it, then the specs indicate an appealing model.

Frank, Pete, thank you. Frank, apologies on two counts. First, I completely failed to note the difference in the position of the diopter ring compared with the Mojave.

Second, I have not been clear in my suggestion that you compare this Opticron with the Mojave. I meant, at the end of your present spell of testing, see if it makes sense to give your impressions (I did say let us see next week!)

I am very interested in the Mojave or Cabelas Guide 8x32 as an alternative to the pricier 8x32s. The Mojave was said (? by you also, if I remember right, among others) to be better in optical quality than the Monarch 8x30. I am intrigued by the 32mm of this new Opticron. If this other stable turns out to be where the Monarch and Maven originated then surely now the mare also is different? (Saw Bruce's post after posting this: my thoughts have been similar from the outset.)

Last edited:
adhoc,

Gotcha. Will do. :)

Also, I am not sure if I said the Mojave was better overall. I probably said that both had their strong points and their weakpoints. If you preferred one specific set of characteristics over another set then maybe "this binocular" was a better option and vice versa.

From what I remember the Mojave was a shade sharper than the Monarch but I enjoyed the Monarch's smaller size and focusing knob tension.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, the objective diameter measures out at 32 mm.

Thanks for confirming that. A weight of 15.9 oz, if correct, for a 32mm quality binocular is very light. The 30mm Maven B3 is listing 16.25 oz. The 32mm Leupold Mojave lists 17 oz. The Sightron II 8X32 I weighed was 17.0 oz.

It definitely feels good in the hand Bruce....an overall well rounded binocular in terms of both optics and ergonomics. Now to test for any stray light issues. ;)

I also have the Explorer WA ED 8x42 on hand to take along to review as well.

I bought these last year, and absolutely love them, although I haven't really anything much to compare them against, so I'll be really interested in your review.

Gander,

I just started using them this weekend and I have to say I am equally impressed with the new Explorer WA EDs. Several optical areas that I really enjoy about this binocular. Will post more as time allows.

Rob will have both Traveller ED models with him at his optics events at Chew Valley Lake and Chesil Beach this weekend (3rd and 4th March respectively).

Cheers, Pete

Arrived with us yesterday and first pair when out the door within an hour of delivery. Obviously made a very good impression :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back