Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 24th August 2017, 07:10   #1
dmcal

Help identifying owl in north central Minnesota

Two nights ago, August 21, we were driving along a dirt road which cut through woodlands. To our astonishment, an owl dropped out of the sky onto the road then scuttled about 10 feet where it landed again, then off it went. This occurred startlingly close to our car; I would say about 20 feet from the front of car. In the headlights it looked like it had a lot of white with dark bars but bear in mind it was caught in our headlights. Less than a minute later, as we made our way along the dirt road, the same thing happened again! Either the same owl or two of them in the area. After it disappeared I noted a frog in the road and my wife, who was driving, said frogs had been hopping across the road the way they do, en masse, on occasion in central minnesota lake country.
This was a medium to large owl. Not huge like a great horned but not tiny either. Again, it was a light color. I went through all the owls of MN twice and looked at their descriptions and am stumped. What was it? Whatever it was, it was feasting on frogs! Help appreciated.
Old Thursday 24th August 2017, 12:27   #2
AidenD

Welcome to Birdforum. Could it be Barred? You would get more success by posting this in the Bird Identification Q&A Forum.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: