• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEED advice (1 Viewer)

Waaka

Hello I’m waaka, today I found a starling nest with 5 chicks in it, in one of my machines, it had to be removed so I carefully relocated them into a 5L bucky along with most of their nest. I placed this bucket 2m up hanging on a fence where I had seen a parent landing. Parent inspected the Bucky slowly, then jumped down but didn’t go in. It then wanted nothing to do with chicks. This went on for an hour as I watched and felt i so bad, so I had to leave work and didn’t wana leave chicks there cause they’ll die from frost. So I got five starling chicks, at home, in a bucket with nesting. Googled what to feed dem an in my circumstances it had to be cat food. High cuisine stuff tho. I couldn’t get worms or insects.
Just wana know if I did the right thing.
At the mo they’re in a bucky, with nesting and a heat pad under bucky. Heat pad 23 - 25 degrees c. Had 1ml of blended cuisine cat food 1 hr from time of post. Gna feed them again now if they want it.
Do u feed to satiation?

Hi Waaka and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

It's extremely difficult to rear nestlings to fledging, even for experience rehabbers. Maybe the bucky was too deep for the adult to feel comfortable. It's hard for me to know as I can't really visualise the set up.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope these help.

Thank you for trying to help these poor guys, please let us know how you get on.

BTW I moved your post to a more suitable forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back