• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Maples preserve. Which trail to follow? (1 Viewer)

nbalblas

Anybody here for some Texas intel?

I'm travelling to Texas in April/May next year.
One of the places I'm visiting will be the Lost Maples preserve on the 10th of May.

Is anyone familiar with this preserve/Do you know which trails are best for Black-capped Vireo, Golden-cheeked Warbler and Warblers in general?

Thank you!

Hi SanAngelo, Thank you for your idea! I will post the question there as well.
If anyone reading this still has some thoughts, please share them.

When I was there in April a few years ago I think I went up the main east-west trail to the campsite by the river. I also went up the start of the east trail from there, which is where the vireo was. Golden-cheeked Warbler was fairly common, though it took me a while to find my first one. The vireo isn't all that common there but it should be possible with persistence.

Hi Andrew, is there perhaps a better spot for these species in the Hill country? And did you see any other warblers at Lost Maples?
Thank you for your already given advice.

Hi Andrew, is there perhaps a better spot for these species in the Hill country? And did you see any other warblers at Lost Maples?
Thank you for your already given advice.

I think Lost Maples is very good for Golden-cheeked Warbler. Maybe as good as anywhere. I found South Llano State Park near Junction much easier for the vireo. They were fairly common and easily seen there. I also saw GC Warbler there but it's not as common as at Lost Maples.

I saw a few other warblers at Lost Maples. Louisiana Waterthrush was along the river by the primitive campsite.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back