Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 19:31   #1
dries1

Nikon Service (NON Warranty)

Regarding Nikon older models lets say, 2002, has anyone sent in a binocular that they bought second hand and got it fixed (at cost) and were happy.

Andy W.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:05   #2
BigWok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Regarding Nikon older models lets say, 2002, has anyone sent in a binocular that they bought second hand and got it fixed (at cost) and were happy.

Andy W.
I received an old "grey bodied" 8x30 EII in a trade that had several black specks in the view.
I contacted Nikon and they took it in, fixed the black speck problem and tightened up the hinge and diopter ring.
All for free under there No Fault Lifetime Warranty on optics.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 23:07   #3
dries1

That is encouraging, I am hoping that they continue to treat older high end glass this way for let's say minor repairs. I wonder how many low priced Prostaff models they have just replaced instead of fixing.

Andy W.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 23:56   #4
Jack Speer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWok View Post
I received an old "grey bodied" 8x30 EII in a trade that had several black specks in the view.
I contacted Nikon and they took it in, fixed the black speck problem and tightened up the hinge and diopter ring.
All for free under there No Fault Lifetime Warranty on optics.
It's worth noting that the no fault business was a policy and not a warranty, and that Nikon rescinded that policy a few years ago. I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay. I'm not sure if that behavior extends to binoculars, but I'd be wary of buying second hand. I'd even be wary of buying first hand since the resale value of their binoculars isn't great now that the warranty only applies to the original owner.

Edit: Maybe my comment was too harsh about being wary of buying first hand. That was more a jab at Nikon. Of course there's more to binoculars than the warranty.

Last edited by Jack Speer : Thursday 16th November 2017 at 00:04.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 00:04   #5
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Speer View Post
It's worth noting that the no fault business was a policy and not a warranty, and that Nikon rescinded that policy a few years ago. I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay. I'm not sure if that behavior extends to binoculars, but I'd be wary of buying second hand. I'd even be wary of buying first hand since the resale value of their binoculars isn't great now that the warranty only applies to the original owner.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n.../no-fault.page
Some have reported free service on secondhand products, probably on a case-by-case basis.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 00:13   #6
Jack Speer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
I always thought they just forgot to take that page down. Here is a thread started by Bruce regarding the no fault changes: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=292997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Some have reported free service on secondhand products, probably on a case-by-case basis.
Yes that's probably right.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 00:58   #7
dries1

Thanks for the info, some pleasurable reading no doubt. Now I am beginning to wonder if Nikon is retracting from making high-end optics. Owners of very good upper end Nikon optics 15-20 years old, will be saying why? I just wanted to get it cleaned, tune up the focus or replace the rubber ocular covers.

Andy W.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 02:35   #8
Pileatus

Quote:
I always thought they just forgot to take that page down. Here is a thread started by Bruce regarding the no fault changes: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=292997

Yes that's probably right.
The info from 2014 is out of date.
June 2017 anecdote...
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...-fault-policy/
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 08:46   #9
Super Dave

I think they will take care of you. Give it a shot and let us know.
Old Thursday 16th November 2017, 20:44   #10
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay...
I wonder if there is more to the story, like perhaps the lenses were not official import stock? I have had lenses repaired by Nikon that I bought second hand, but they were not grey market units.

--AP
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: