Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 20:51   #26
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
A Prostar without the stripe on the objective beauty ring or cost?

Bill
With the red ring. The one without is the cheaper Tropical model with single coating and no field flatteners. Albinos site have tests of both models. The SP is significantly better.

https://www.allbinos.com/291-binocul...0IF_SP_WP.html

https://www.allbinos.com/256-binocul..._Tropical.html

Nikon don't call it the Prostar anymore. That seems to be something Nikon (US) made up as well as a fancy price.

Actually I paid less than that buying on Amazon Prime UK. If something doesn't sell in over a year the automated algorithm they use starts reducing the price by around 4% every few days. The same applies to amazon Warehouse returns with overstock situations.
They had 2 in stock and I held my nerve until it reached 303 GBP (actually 252 as I'm a registered business and get the VAT back.)
Once a purchase is made the price shots straight back up to the original and the process starts again. 7x50 binoculars are very slow sellers, you can never get a mad deal like this on faster moving items like Zeiss or Leica !
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:12   #27
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaist View Post
certainly, the 500 Euro+ modern Nikon is a better performer, but the old Pentax ist only 140 Euro... as a additional glass to a "perfect" modern 8x33 roof ED good enough.

Mine (slightly older, nr 76......) has definitely no green cast, it is perfectly neutral in the colors, as well as the Kowa Prominar...

How much did you get for the Pentax?
Sold for 140 GBP, about what I paid for it, and probably to cheap as it was in perfect condition ! From my photos can you estimate it's age and maker code?

I got it to compare with a brand new Nikon 7x50 SP. The Nikon has a slightly yellow cast compared to my 2015 Leica. Both are short of modern Swarovski, Leica and top tier Nikons with their super multi-coatings etc. in terms of colour neutrality.

If you are interested in such things the cameraman and member here Tobias has some interesting articles and reviews about image aesthetics

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:19   #28
Kowaist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
Sold for 140 GBP, about what I paid for it, and probably to cheap as it was in perfect condition ! From my photos can you estimate it's age and maker code?

I got it to compare with a brand new Nikon 7x50 SP. The Nikon has a slightly yellow cast compared to my 2015 Leica. Both are short of modern Swarovski, Leica and top tier Nikons with their super multi-coatings etc. in terms of colour neutrality.

If you are interested in such things the cameraman and member here Tobias has some interesting articles and reviews about image aesthetics

http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/
the maker is for sure jb2 katsuma, can only be seen inside besides the prism fixing...
Sure yours was really mint++, but i am happy with my slightly used one but color neutral...

Age? Younger than mine, maybe end of the 1970s?
Kowaist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:26   #29
WJC
Registered User
 
WJC's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by maico View Post
With the red ring. The one without is the cheaper Tropical model with single coating and no field flatteners. Albinos site have tests of both models. The SP is significantly better.

https://www.allbinos.com/291-binocul...0IF_SP_WP.html

https://www.allbinos.com/256-binocul..._Tropical.html

Nikon don't call it the Prostar anymore. That seems to be something Nikon (US) made up as well as a fancy price.

Actually I paid less than that buying on Amazon Prime UK. If something doesn't sell in over a year the automated algorithm they use starts reducing the price by around 4% every few days. The same applies to amazon Warehouse returns with overstock situations.
They had 2 in stock and I held my nerve until it reached 303 GBP (actually 252 as I'm a registered business and get the VAT back.)
Once a purchase is made the price shots straight back up to the original and the process starts again. 7x50 binoculars are very slow sellers, you can never get a mad deal like this on faster moving items like Zeiss or Leica !
I guess they figured out they should concentrate on the marine market instead of amateur astronomy. Of all the companies I have every worked with—and that’s many—Nikon has consistently been the worst about coming up with a name and sticking to it.

Bill
__________________
"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."Dr. Stephen Hawking
WJC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th November 2017, 21:29   #30
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaist View Post
the maker is for sure jb2 katsuma, can only be seen inside besides the prism fixing...
Sure yours was really mint++, but i am happy with my slightly used one but color neutral...

Age? Younger than mine, maybe end of the 1970s?
Interesting there is a difference. Maybe heat had got to it as the original owner was a recreational sailor from Hong Kong. You couldn't really miss it on mine, a brown sparrow looked like a greenfinch
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 03:15   #31
clschmalz
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ogden UT
Posts: 69
Follow up to my 2008 posting. A few years after getting the 7x35 Marine glasses i was again in San Francisco and revisited the shop where I'd purchased them. They still had the NOS 6x30 binoculars so I bought them. On examination they proved to be something other than the marine series. They were not labeled "Marine" like the 7x35s but they did have the 5 screw moisture resistant objective covers originally developed at Universal Camera during WWII. They also have the rangefinder reticle found in military glasses. What they appear to be is a Pentax badged version of M13 binoculars. Anybody have anything on the origins of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pentax 6x30.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	646553  

Last edited by clschmalz : Friday 17th November 2017 at 15:54. Reason: Attched Photo
clschmalz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 12:54   #32
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 223
Actually, come to think of it, the Pentax 7x50 shown in my photos did have an unobtrusive rangefinder reticle although there is no indication of that on the model inscription. I'm beginning to think that the green/yellow cast and reticle meant it was a specialized military binocular for low light and night use.

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	646543  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2315.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	646544  

Last edited by maico : Friday 17th November 2017 at 13:14.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 13:38   #33
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clschmalz View Post
I've recently had some questions regarding Asahi Pentax BIF Marine Binoculars. As a partial answer I'm posting the attached advertising sheet that accompanied the NOS pair I bought last year.

As I understand it the BIF models are descended from Asahi's Japanese military models. Mechanically they appear to be built like the proverbial tank. Optically they are as good as or better than Swaroviski or Nikon glasses I own.

Trust this information will be of interest to at least some on the forum.

Charlie
That spec. sheet appears to be dated march 1973.
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 16:13   #34
Kowaist
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 34
Hi Charlie,

what Serial Number hat you NOS BIF that came with the bino?
I have seen one photo of a new one with 80.... serial, was that yours?
Kowaist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asahi Pentax 10 x 50 Binoculars - Any Good? turumti Pentax 3 Friday 6th April 2007 02:12
Asahi Pentax binoculars trealawboy Pentax 3 Wednesday 5th October 2005 19:47
Opinions on Pentax XCF Binoculars jmooney Pentax 1 Friday 20th August 2004 05:34


£100 Cashback on Opticron DBA VHD Binoculars. Click to find out more.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17619991 seconds with 22 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:56.