• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Yep, no harm in it!

The owls inevitably move around, they're not fixed to any one place - check all suitable vantage points like electricity poles, walls, roof ridges, etc.

Bingo last night for little owls around the Stable Yard complex, also barn owl in the field opposite!! Thanks for the photographer who put me on to it. No spoonbills on Widdrington or Cresswell between 2130 & 2200. A two owl day is a rarity at home so was absolutely delighted to get one here.

I heard in the pub last night that it's being reported in the local papers that Coneygarth Lake, usually and inaccurately referred to in local birding circles as Bothal Pond is to be opened up to up to ten rods as a commercial recreational fishery.

It's been lightly fished in the past from a couple of boats by a syndicate based on Alcan, but from what I heard this will be a commercial venture and if there are ten rods involved it will be bank fishing.

That'll stir the ducks up.

EDIT. It seems I'm behind the times. It's already opened.

https://www.facebook.com/Coneygarth-Fishery-1814385725491995/

'28 June at 23:08 ·

Opening Saturday 1st July. We will be open from 8am 7 days a week. We are a barbless fly fishery, stocked with rainbow trout and an occasional blue. Anglers must be in possession of a valid environment agency (EA) licence to fish at Coneygarth
.'

Last edited:
Thanks again to all who helped me recently connect with two owls in a day, a difficult task in Northern Ireland. The two birders at Cresswell and the Budge screen on Saturday morning and the two locals at Druridge on the Sunday night. Apologies again for spooking the owl as I drove past a car with a camera sticking out! Hope you got some pics eventually, although I saw some on the Northumberland birders site which looked hopeful. Blog updated at:
http://bangorwestndcp.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/a-two-owl-day.html

Need to visit more in the summer and get little tern at Long Nanny.

Spotted Flycatcher in small Hawthorns next to the wooden bridge at Long Nanny Burn mouth yesterday.
Stag Rock was pretty quiet in the morning although there was some fantastic Gannet feeding going on.
No sign of the reported Surf Scoter from a day or two ago.

Two Yellow-browed warbler in the same tree at St Mary's Island this lunchtime. Also about were Whinchat, Wheatear and Redstart, and several Ruff still in the stubble field near the caravan park.

Five, perhaps more, there today :t:

Also 2 Redstart, a Pied Flycatcher, and several Chiffchaffs

Somebody mentioned a Pied Flycatcher had been seen very early on Monday, but I didn't see it... which is a shame, as it's been my bird of the year so far: I'd only seen one on a couple of occasions before this year, but have had several sightings in the UK, Sweden and Switzerland this year (saw multiple birds in 6 locations in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago).

Yup, the pink-feet are coming: quite a few skeins coming in over the northern Caithness coast last week and a smaller number down on the Black Isle.

Haven't seen or heard them here yet.

And this morning at Druridge and Chevington I saw around 400 pink-feet in a couple of hours, groups ranging in size from a dozen to 50.

Still a few chiffchaffs left at DBCP

I had 5 Hawfinch at the National Trust's Wallington Hall on Sunday. There were seen in flight and then sitting in the tops of large beech trees close to the entrance to the walled garden (lake entrance). They flew off in the direction of the main house but I couldn't refind them. This isn't a million miles from Morpeth so they could be strays from the Abbey Mill site or additional birds. Wallington used to be known for the odd Hawfinch sighting in and around the car park back in the day. Also a single Brambling in the wildlife hide feeding station.
Andy

Jimmy Steele

Just heard the very sad news that Jimmy Steele has passed away. I'm sure many of you will have come across him, particularly on his Newbiggin patch where he found many rarities. A lovely guy and a brilliant birder.

Jimmy was so generous with his incredible birding knowledge and very patient with people new to the hobby. He was a highly respected Professor of Dentistry at Newcastle University and a Trustee of the Natural History Society of Northumbria.

Jimmy's funeral service is to be held at 11.15 am on Friday 24 November 2017 at the Crematorium on the West Road. The family have requested that people do not send flowers but rather support the Trussell Trust: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/prof-jimmy-steele

He'll be a huge miss.

I'm getting reports that a 360° excavator has turned up at East Chevington to clear the watercourses of the blockages that they've been suffering from for about 10 years. It was February 2010 that the last attempt was made, but the machine was too small for the job and left the Ladyburn channel blocked behind the bracken mound on the dunes, and even that botched job was years overdue.

Better luck this time, I hope.

Tonight I'm going out to see if I can see any flying reindeer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back