Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 15:10   #76
Robert Wallace

I also received my copy of Bill's book and like most contributors to this thread I thoroughly enjoyed it . Unlike some I didn't know it all, having stopped studying optics in 1964 for GCE A level physics (I passed).
Best of all for me was the debunking of the mystique of lens cleaning. I always used a soft artists brush and a small piece of chamois leather (softened by repeated soaking in water) for cleaning my binoculars. A few years later I purchased a SLR and bought a Focal Press guide. The message was pretty much avoid cleaning lenses unless absolutely neccessary, not difficult when most of my camera lenses had a filter attached. The CZJ 10x50 binocular (1974) was another matter, it didn't even have a rain guard.
I tended to buy proprietary lens cleaners such as Kodak etc and similar products for cleaning audio equipment. All these were supplied in small quantities and cost a small fortune, even today I still buy "special" glass cleaner for my car windscreen. Not any longer! I am in the process of purchasing iso-propyl alcohol and domestic ammonia at the cost of about £12 which will make me about two gallons or more of glass cleaner. This will last more than my life time if only used for optical lenses but will now take away the need for car screen cleaner and house window cleaner. Thanks Bill your book will soon of paid for itself.
Just to add I was inspired to research the composition of some of these proprietary products inclding the Zeiss lens cleaner which is simply about 5% iso-proplyl alcohol and 95% water, Viking lens cleaner is I think similar with a small amount of anti-smear agent added. We live and learn or some of us do.

Last edited by Robert Wallace : Wednesday 4th October 2017 at 15:14.
Old Wednesday 4th October 2017, 15:42   #77
Loud Green Man

Well I will certainly be putting this book on my list to Santa.

If I get unlucky with print quality a quick pass through the Rowan tree should sort it!

LGM
Old Monday 9th October 2017, 02:54   #78
WJC

RW and LGM:

You guys are kind; thank you. Those I have heard from, who have darkened graphics, have all been from UK. Mine have come from Columbia, South Carolina USA and appear to have been printed with a laser process. Those I have seen from UK seem to have been printed on a web press with too much ink applied.

Some folks say thatís okay from them. However, it makes it harder for me to promote a quality product, and I think those with overly dark images should send them back; they are not getting what they paid for. When Amazon gets tired of eating bad copies, they will up quality control, even if it means finding a new printer.

Bill
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 00:21   #79
chill6x6

Bill and others....
I'm down at the Gulf Coast doing a little birding and relaxing.... I've glanced thru Bill's book before now...but TODAY....I READ it.. LOVED IT! It is such a wonderful blend of humor, wisdom, binocular facts, and my favorite...life lessons. VERY well written in a great style of writing.

Bill, I wish I could write like that. Such an art. How do you put all those elements of the book...TOGETHER? It was great to read your book and thanks for letting all of us into your world a little bit...

Chuck Hill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BBA7F26-74CB-4F78-A1BA-0391641CF3EE1.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	646523  

BF Supporter 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th November 2017, 01:24   #80
dries1

Bill,

Congratulations on the book, you probably feel like removing a 80 pound rucksack off your back if only for a few fleeting hours, any book tours scheduled? I look forward to the book.

Regards,

Andy W.
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 02:16   #81
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Bill and others....
I'm down at the Gulf Coast doing a little birding and relaxing.... I've glanced thru Bill's book before now...but TODAY....I READ it.. LOVED IT! It is such a wonderful blend of humor, wisdom, binocular facts, and my favorite...life lessons. VERY well written in a great style of writing.

Bill, I wish I could write like that. Such an art. How do you put all those elements of the book...TOGETHER? It was great to read your book and thanks for letting all of us into your world a little bit...

Chuck Hill
Ah, Chuck, you’re just saying that onacounta ... it’s true.

(That’s code for: “Your kind—thank you very much.”)

As far as “putting all those elements TOGETHER,” I had to; everything you see is ME because I didn’t have the money to hire a professional. Springer was to be the big dog. However, after working with a very kind editor in London (a fellow who liked the book and said he would have published it) for several weeks, New York (Damn Yanks) said they wanted a book of a minimum of 10 chapters with a minimum of 10 pages per chapter. Well, as you saw, one vignette takes 38 pages, one takes HALF OF ONE page, and the rest fall somewhere in between. Another well-known firm wanted to tell me how I should present my content in the traditional, sub-rudimentary 1960s format. Getting tired of trying to fit my book into their “crap for hire” format, I HAD to do everything myself: format, layout, content, photography, graphics manipulation, both covers, etc. It was a matter of have to. Considering what the readers are saying—you being one—I would say I knew more about how to present my book than they did—foolish novice 1: professional publishers 0. Although being a college puke who is very comfortable writing in eggheadease, I wanted it to be of value for the everyday bino packer.

Now that the sucker (the 80-pound rucksack as Andy put it) is off my plate, I’m going back through it (at the leisure I didn’t have before) with my SUPERFLUOUS COMMA COMB and making ready for the next edition ... if there is one. If that comes to pass, it will be down the road and address a number of repair issues. You and many others have praised my style. Thank you. But, you should speak to my wife about ... proofreading. It’s hard to catch your own mistakes. That’s where I really needed professional help—even more so than when I pick my nose with my elbow. For example, you might change a word or two to make some point more accurate or fluid without realizing two words in the sentence before or three words in the next must also be changed. That can be hard on the stroke-challenged mind.

Yes, Andy, I had a 7 states book signing tour planned. But, the alarm went off and I had to get a shower. I was honored to sign one for Richard Berry and Steve Tonkin, but that’s about all. Big ego or not, that’s really over the top for this screw turner. Hey, but I went to school with John Grisham for a while and there was a chance we even spoke a couple of times. John could write about the noise that comes from peeing on a flat rock and it would make the NY Best Seller List.

I’m certain the book will have staying power but I had no delusions of making any real money from it. ‘Blue jeans, cell phones, rap music, pizzas, or fidget spinners—perhaps. Consumer optics ... never.

The book has sold about 200 and is, for what it is, is doing well. Amazon doesn’t have it in all the appropriate categories, so I’m trying, as time will allow, to reach out to Birding and Amateur Astronomy groups.

And Chuck: get your hairy legs off my book.

Blessings,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 5.51.27 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	646525  

Last edited by WJC : Friday 17th November 2017 at 02:59.
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 10:23   #82
edwincjones

"second edition"
"book tour" with "John Grisham"
"the noise that comes from peeing on a flat rock"

the excitement never ends
edj
-L Armstrong and others

Last edited by edwincjones : Friday 17th November 2017 at 10:28.
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 17:24   #83
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
"second edition"
"book tour" with "John Grisham"
"the noise that comes from peeing on a flat rock"

the excitement never ends
edj
The "excrement" never ends; get it right.

Bill
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 18:37   #84
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
The "excrement" never ends; get it right.

Bill
you writers have such a way with words

edj
-L Armstrong and others
Old Friday 17th November 2017, 19:10   #85
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
you writers have such a way with words

edj
That helps get checks in the mail.

Bill