Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 21st July 2008, 20:58   #1
jc122463

Prairie Chicken and Longspur

Hi all,
I'm up visiting MN for a little while and thought I would try to get out and do some birding with my uncle while I'm here. We're especially interested in trying to track down Prairie-chicken and Longspur. I'm based in Mpls but we were thinking about making a long weekend of it. I understand it's not the best time of year for these, but if anyone knows of a good location to try, I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Benji
Old Monday 21st July 2008, 21:19   #2
Dave B Smith

While you're waiting for more detailed info you might check out this link for the Minnesota Prairie Chicken Society.
Good luck,

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 21st July 2008, 23:02   #3
Edward
Umimmak

Hi Benji

I was in Minnesota at the end of May this year and saw both Greater Prairie-chicken and Chestnut-collared Longspur. If you can get hold of a copy of Kim Eckert's A Birder's Guide to Minnesota it will be a big help as it has really detailed information and maps. We saw Greater Prairie-Chickens near the town of Rothsay in Wilkin County, more specifically near the Western Prairie on road 165. There is also a lek at the Rothsay Wildlife Management Area north of country road 26 although I guess the birds aren't active there at this time of year (although they'll still be in the area).
We saw several Chestnut-collared Longspurs around Felton, Clay County in the area described as "Chestnut-collared Longspur pasture" in Eckert's book. Greater Prairie-Chickens also occur in the area around Felton.
We found both areas to be great for birding, at least in late May.
Good luck.

E
Old Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 12:58   #4
jc122463

Thanks for the help! Seeing them this time of year doesn't seem all that easy but it should be a good weekend out regardless!

Cheers,
Benji
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: