• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (2 Viewers)

Ah ha....!

Sounds n vibrations....little bittern style....excellent....:t:

This relates..[in my tiny head]:smoke:...to something i've been pondering lately...and that is the communication between species..whether birds or.....

There is so much we do not appreciate...[me included]...and this was brought to light when i caught a 'snippet' of info on springwatch program the other night....re a skylarks song! On the prog 'they' slowed down one second of a recording of skylark song and within that one second there were 36..[or 46]? syllables...it really was amazing to me!

[Out of no interest whatsoever]......i have always imitated bird sound/calls all me life....[i can't 'do' little bittern tho....more the high frequency bird songs/calls]....! Don't mention 'squeaky gates'....ouch...:eek!:

ps...great illustrations of 'little bit' by the way Phil.....:t:

thats a little bit brilliant Phil! ;)

my fav bit though is the wing vignette squeezed into the top of pic no.2. a great reminder of the way you manage to work with such detail and so prolifically!!

"But he will be featured, dwarfed, in a reedbed painting at some juncture..."

No, that wasn't a promise! But have already begun to think about it.

Hope you all had a marvellous weekend?

Thanks for your responses. Very much welcomed! Often inspiring me to do new pieces!

Couple of old messy sketchings for you to welcome the mid-Summer 21 June in the Western Hemisphere...

Oh! And have a great week too! B :):cat:

Attachments

• bocianek.JPG
    bocianek.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 48
  • litbunt.JPG
    litbunt.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 47
  • subalp.jpg
    subalp.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 46
Nice sketches Phil, the stork is a standout probably because of the simplicity with which you've portrayed him. Is it really mid-summer? Felt more like mid-October on Sunday!

Mike

This little bunt is wonderful - that expression; perfect. Love the subalp, too - and concur with Mike re the stork - I presume you used a touch of white gouache here?

Summer Brambling! Sketches and atmosphere.

Thanks all for your comments.

Some new notebook sketches.

A few days ago I heard about a singing male Brambling in woods near Cheddar Gorge, Somerset, England. Normally a Winter visitor to the UK,they breed up in the Taiga zone.
I was shocked and surprised by the news. Never in my life had I had the opportunity to see a Summer plumaged Brambling in my area. Let alone a singing one!
So Madame Untitled,and I hot-footed it to the site, and eventually connected with the bird in question (thanks to some detailed directions...)
It was holding a regular territory in Ash forest, feeding and singing some 20 to 30 feet up in the lower canopy. Normally a denizen of Northern Birch forest, this was its best substitute.
We spent a good hour in its company, and I was able to get some sketches of its beautiful plumage, as it skittered around above us. Singing and insect catching.
I attach these. The pre-colour and colour versions. Some photos of the habitat it was in, and a link to its song. Surely the most basic of birdsongs I've ever heard!

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=brambling

Try the 3rd recording down. That is my favourite.

Attachments

• Long Wood Brambling.JPG
    Long Wood Brambling.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Long Wood Brambling colour.JPG
    Long Wood Brambling colour.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Image0295.jpg
    Image0295.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Image0301.jpg
    Image0301.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Image0302.jpg
    Image0302.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 37
gorgeous - what a rare treat, I've seen a few in almost full summer plumage as they linger quite late sometimes, but to be able to enjoy one singing (or wheezing) must be wonderful.

Thoroughly excellent - the drawings and the experience. He sounds like a greenfinch that's mated with a dalek - wonderful! Go back and do some more . . . please.

Work In Progress #5 : Bullfinch in Elder...

My partner's new camera. Me hiding behind her compost bins?
Allowed me to get a few shots of a male Bullfinch, trying to visit her feeders.
The results were, for me, astounding...
So much so, that I thought I'd use them in a little painting.

Hope I can live up to the photos.

Time will tell!

I attach, also, a 2 year old study of a male Bullfinch from Madame Untitled's garden. Super birds! B :)

PS The male Brambling is still there! Ken and Tim. Have to wait for my partner's day off. We may, or may not be able to return. Lots of Horse Flies there. Good Brambling food, but freaked Madame Untitled out! I only got bitten once. Worth it though! ;)

Attachments

• Gil sketch.JPG
    Gil sketch.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Gil 1.JPG
    Gil 1.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Image0211.jpg
    Image0211.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 42
mmmm pretty! What sort of unearthly hour are you still up at Mr Baber!? Maybe I should go sleep, I'm at work this morning!
Liking the Bullfinch - but keep it simple - it's a winner from the start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back