• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Well.....i woke up this morning feeling quite 'rough' and out of sorts....but your illustrations have just given me a real 'boost'....:t:

Bloody marvelous....!

Love the orioles...[a lot]...and the shrike n dartford warbler page...those color combination's are superb...

The expression on that stone curlews face in lower left of page made me laugh...he looks well p----d off.....;) Excellent stuff....!

As Tim said...you've got an amazing awareness of how a written/illustrated page should look like...tis an artform in itself....and so pleasing to the eye as such pages show 'the passion' of birders...[and talent]...!

All in all...brill....:t:

Frabjous observations, so much detail in them. I love the little short strokes you use to build up the colours. Great stuff! I'm sure you've got a rich mine of goodies to share.

And living on a boat sounds great to me!

Mike

Teeming with life Phil.! As others have said you have a great knack for combining text and images into a captivating and rich whole. And as username says they show 'the passion of birders.' Exactly right.

"The expression on that stone curlews face in lower left of page made me laugh...he looks well p----d off..... "

Was only drawing what I saw! Yet somehow they do look overall happy when you see them. Returned to Martin Down last Summer, but they had not nested in that particular area. Thanks for the complis Username.

"Frabjous observations, so much detail in them. I love the little short strokes you use to build up the colours."

Frabjous is a BIG compliment Mike! :eek!: The "strokes" were done using water-colour pencil to build up texture on top of gouache. Am a big supporter of "mixed-media." Using whatever's to hand to get the effect desired.

"...great knack for combining text and images..."

Ken, that comes from many years drawing strip-cartoons for comics and magazines! It seems to be a "transferable skill." These were done to capture the feeling of the experience for my own purposes. So I could revisit the experience. They were never done for public show. And no punchlines or cheap gags! ;)

An example of this "strip cartoon stuff" is attached. But other egs are on the link to my "website"...;)

Attachments

• horse cheese 1.jpg
    horse cheese 1.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 183
  • horse cheese 2.jpg
    horse cheese 2.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 135
Just to get it back on the "bird-track"?
A scan left over.
Do not like the big image. But the Pec Sand sketch in the right corner summed up the bird perfectly for me.
As we know, sometimes one has to do a lot to get one good one. One that captures the essence of that particular bird!

Attachments

• Pec 94.JPG
    Pec 94.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 209
And a Slimbridge, Gloucestershire, England wild Lesser White-Front to finish on. From Jan '95...

Must go now and work on posting some stuff from this century! ;)

Have a great day everyone. A FRABJOUS DAY! :cat:

Attachments

• LWG WWT 24.01.95.JPG
    LWG WWT 24.01.95.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 63
More blasts from the past...

Thanks Tim!

Loving the new backlit Eiders BTW!

As my next post I thought I'd barrage you all with a bit more "archive footage." Just wanted to give you a wider view of my work. The vast majority of this stuff nobody has ever seen before....

Then, when that's out of the way, I can start showing some current works in progress. As stand-up pieces of art.

So here goes another set of note and sketchbook stuff....B :)

Attachments

• Little Gull 27.7.94.JPG
    Little Gull 27.7.94.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Dipper sketches.JPG
    Dipper sketches.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Male Hen Harrier 29.12.94.JPG
    Male Hen Harrier 29.12.94.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 69
...more...

Attachments

• WWBT CVL 10.6.96.JPG
    WWBT CVL 10.6.96.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Kentish Plover Dawlish.JPG
    Kentish Plover Dawlish.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 71
  • RN Phal Blagdon 22.9.96.JPG
    RN Phal Blagdon 22.9.96.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 53
  • RN Duck Timsbury GP 8.1.95.JPG
    RN Duck Timsbury GP 8.1.95.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 60
...et plus...

Attachments

• Dovekie Portland Harbour.JPG
    Dovekie Portland Harbour.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 63
  • BNGrebe CvL.JPG
    BNGrebe CvL.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 52
  • WRSAND SEVERN BEACH 23.8.95.JPG
    WRSAND SEVERN BEACH 23.8.95.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 54
Hope you enjoy this little gallery...

Maybe more later after Wallander has finished! ;)

Attachments

• Whoopers Catcott.JPG
    Whoopers Catcott.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 58
  • RB Flicker Portland 4.10.94.JPG
    RB Flicker Portland 4.10.94.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Lesser Scaup 17.12.94.JPG
    Lesser Scaup 17.12.94.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Iceland Gull Radipole.JPG
    Iceland Gull Radipole.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 51
  • BT THRUSH BRISTOL 9.2.96.JPG
    BT THRUSH BRISTOL 9.2.96.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
Phil,
I could pore my eyes over these 'all day and all of the night' as The Kinks sang, or was it The Stranglers? Whatever, sensational stuff. I know some folk who'd say ' that bill's too long and that head's too big and blah, blah, blah. Stick to taking pics, matey. Seriously I think appeciating art can take a trained eye as mush as it does to produce it. There is indeed, a certain 'something' about your style. They're grrreat!

I particularly love the lesser Whitefront, its cuteness you have nailed admirably.

More, More, More, as the whatsit experience/foundation sang. Pop trivia and bird art on this thread.

Russ

Still grinning at the Kentish plover - I don't think I;ve ever seen a more characterful drawing using so few lines; outstanding, mate. Again - all so beautifully composed on the page. Lovely, indeed.

Wallander was good!

When they found the poor girl's body there was a Black Woodpecker calling in the background! Is Ystad, Southern Sweden, a good birding place I wonder?

Thanks you lot! Kentish, in my mind, is like a wind-up clockwork toy. Or some kind of weird chick (as in "young chicken!") Yeah! LWF has got to be one of the most endearing geese Russ! And "charming" User? I must be going soft in my old age? But Hey! I'm much older now than then! :eek!: Maybe "Prints Charming?" ;)

I guess all these pieces show someone trying to capture a bird's essence. That, of course is not always possible! Or to "film it" in sketches? Sooner or later, after drumming your head against the wall, the wall might give way a bit? Sometimes at that time, my cartoonist sensibilities would interfere with the process. And, I think that is most evident in the Kentish sketches!

But, I guess now I'm more interested in the sparseness of line, and the impressionistic qualities of a birding experience. (Getting all "poncey poseur" already! ;))

It took me a long time to realise that I couldn't draw like Ennion or Busby just like that. To be able to draw in this way you have to have experience. And, sometimes, that can take a long time.

But I think Eric Ennion has always had a strong effect on me. He was a total iconoclast. I admire that! The freedom and looseness in his work, under-pinned with a deep love for the subject involved. Not that I try to ape him of course!

So, maybe I'll post a few more oldies.

But, am almost ready to begin posting from now.

I appreciate all your comments.

It is helping me to form some idea of where I am going with all this.

And, that is, back to the drawing board! :t:

Attachments

• LTSKUA SKETCH SEVERN BEACH 15.5.96.JPG
    LTSKUA SKETCH SEVERN BEACH 15.5.96.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 65
  • LTSkuas Severn Beach 15.5.96.JPG
    LTSkuas Severn Beach 15.5.96.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 67
Why thank you Dave.

Was just about to post the rest of today's retro scans, when I saw your kind post!

Noticed you picked up on the driving/comedy thing? Excellent!

Just wait a while. I'll open the taps again.

All the very best!

phil

A 1st W Rough-Legged Buzzard Breakdown? In the 90s?

I think the dates are in the pieces?

A Rough-Leg had appeared on the Imber Ranges, Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, UK. Around Xmas/New Year.

The good old army get 2 weeks off around this time. And civilians can trapse in past the videttes and wander off-road, and blow thenselves up on UXBs. A BRILLIANT place to visit. Imber is still used as "training ground practise" before Iraq/Afghanistan, etc...

I went down in 2 separate car-loads to try and understamd what makes it different from a Common Buzzard.

Ok! Ok! Maybe I twitched it as well! ;)

But to this day, these scribbles have always reminded me of a struggle, sometimes, to get to a point where you understand something IS what it IS...

From the scribbles I did a couple of conclusion "summary" pieces.

Personally, I like some of the "real time vignettes...."

Wade through the "pencil awfulfullness" and you'll see a pattern emerging.

A pattern that leads to understanding of what El Lagopus really is! :cat:

Sometimes we have to "wade through some muddy waters before we can drink from the stream!" ;)

Attachments

• RL Buzzard Imber  1.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber 1.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 58
  • RL Buzzard Imber 2.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber 2.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 65
  • RL Buzzard Imber 3.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber 3.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 55
  • RL Buzzard Imber 4.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber 4.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 65
  • RL Buzzard Imber 5.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber 5.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 57
And, these are the two summary pieces I did for my own learning purposes.

OK, but, not inspiring, It is pic 5 from the post before, which I always hold dear.

That is my favourite of all these scribblings and screevings. Honest, true to the bird, and reportage!

It was a very tame bird though! A sub-Arctic confidant! B :)

Attachments

• RL Buzzard Imber flight.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber flight.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 62
  • RL Buzzard Imber.JPG
    RL Buzzard Imber.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 61
what an eye Phil , I love how you point things out...like "arm raised , hand flat " on that simply beautiful flight sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back