• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GH3 and two new pens announced (1 Viewer)

Well folks, looks like the Oly OM-D EM-5 is still quite the best of all worlds for now as far as EVfs and IBIS goes...

The GH3 has 6 fps for full size images, but that is with black out between, 4 fps with liveview if I remember correctly. It can probably to 20 fps in some reduced size output.

Important to me will be
Improved sensor and latest Venus image processor
if that really means ability to get sharper pictures and use higher iso settings -- it will be interesting to get the scoop on that when direct comparisons with the EM5 comes out.

Another interesting thing is what is mentioned as an "electronic shutter" -- on the G5, this allows first of all silent shooting and secondly, gives sharper photos with some lenses at certain shutter speeds because vibrations from the mechanical shutters usually degrade images to some extent.

I am hypothesizing that the larger housing may also help dampen some vibrations, but we will see in due time

thanks
Niels

Anyway, as I've said it many times before, we need new lenses - long prime lenses! Panny has plans for a 150mm 2.8 which looks more like a long portrait lens to compete with the likes of Canon's 135mm f2L lens rather than be a true 300 2.8 in FF terms. Was hoping for the still-mythical 300mm f4 or 400mm f5.6 to materialize, or at the very least teleconverters compatible with that 150mm 2.8.

Anyway, as I've said it many times before, we need new lenses - long prime lenses! Panny has plans for a 150mm 2.8 which looks more like a long portrait lens to compete with the likes of Canon's 135mm f2L lens rather than be a true 300 2.8 in FF terms. Was hoping for the still-mythical 300mm f4 or 400mm f5.6 to materialize, or at the very least teleconverters compatible with that 150mm 2.8.

I read a quote from an interview with someone (I think someone from Olympus) saying that TCs are needed (so I assume he thinks they will make one)

Niels

I read a quote from an interview with someone (I think someone from Olympus) saying that TCs are needed (so I assume he thinks they will make one)

Niels

guess a prime 300mm and 400mm, is more useful, TC can reduce much of the IQ specially for not very skilled photographers like myself.

A TC before being useful will need to (a) be of very high quality, and (b) be paired with a very good lens. I am not sure any of the longest current lenses are good enough. On the other hand, the full 4/3 system has (if I have understood correctly) a very good 1.4x TC.

Niels

That 150mm f2.8 looks like it could be a high quality lens. A 2.0x tc would take it to 300mm (600mm FF equivalent). I would still prefer a 300mm f4 for better IQ.

But any of these larger lenses will require something like the GH3 for better handling. So the larger 150mm and GH3 suggests Panasonic is planning for larger/longer lenses.

That 150mm f2.8 looks like it could be a high quality lens. A 2.0x tc would take it to 300mm (600mm FF equivalent). I would still prefer a 300mm f4 for better IQ.

But any of these larger lenses will require something like the GH3 for better handling. So the larger 150mm and GH3 suggests Panasonic is planning for larger/longer lenses.

i would dream of a high quality fast 250 mm, that also keep the compact concept of the m4/3, along with 1.7 TC. that would give a little higher than 400mm, as i think the lumix 100-300mm is perfect in its rang.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back