• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rafael Matias: illustrations, drawings and field sketches (1 Viewer)

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Hi all,
I thought it could be a nice idea to start a thread to share some of my artwork, both published and unpublished stuff.
I'll start with a Red-necked Nightjar and a singing Serin, from 2007 (both gouache on paper), published in the Atlas of breeding birds in Portugal (2008).
Thank you for watching.
All the best

Attachments

• Atlas_111_3.jpg
    Atlas_111_3.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 178
  • Atlas_220_3.jpg
    Atlas_220_3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Storm-petrels (Hydrobates pelagicus), made on a very different technique from the previous ones, China ink on polyester (2009, published in the Birds of Portugal or Aves de Portugal).

Attachments

• Hyd pel 3.jpg
    Hyd pel 3.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 381
Wow!..thanks for sharing these excellent pieces Rafael. Love your painting style and am very envious of your skill with ink! Can't wait to see more...

Wow!..thanks for sharing these excellent pieces Rafael. Love your painting style and am very envious of your skill with ink! Can't wait to see more...

Thank you so much for the kind comments Nick, they're much appreciated. I'm glad you liked them and I'll try and put some more soon.
Cheers

Apologies for taking so long to reply, but had to stay away from BF for a while due to being swamped in work (and still am at the moment...) BF is such a huge distraction! Though a very nice one... ;)
Thank you all for all the encouraging comments, they really mean a lot to me, especially coming from artists I really admire as you are! Need to find some time to post some more stuff...
Thanks everyone!

Got any of Silver Teal Rafael???... hope all is well with you.

Cheers from the Falklands

Alan

Alan it's great to hear from you! Re Silver teal unfortunately got just the ones you saw... great birds they are. Thanks for that cool birding day there! Never managed to go back to the Falklands again, and it just seems odd after spending such a big chunk of my life there... that's the way it is I guess! Hope all is well with you too, your blog hasn't been updated in ages and that's really a shame as it's such a great one (used to check it at least once a week!).
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back