• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Booming Bitterns (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Fisher

I would appreciate anyones considered opinion as to whether Leighton Moss, Minsmere or North Warren of these RSPB reserves, which would be the best bet to hear Bitterns Boom.

All claim to have them of course, and all three are quite a way from where I live, so I'd like all the info I can get before choosing which reserve to visit.

I have problems walking too far also unfortunately so I would appreciate anyones experince of the various sites.

We have bitterns at Ladywood of course, but Ive been told they do not Boom! :)

I'll put in my bid first then!
I reckon it's impossible to stand on the National Trust 'ridge' at Minsmere in May and NOT hear a Bittern booming!
Totally reliable!

The problem at Leighton Moss is that the quality of the reedbed has declined and there are only one or two males left, but you would still stand a good chance of hearing them at the right time of year without having to walk too far from the main car park.

Stephen.

Reminder about sensitive species and sites.

Good morning folks,

I hope you get to hear a 'boom' soon, Malcolm; quite 'unbirdlike' it is too!

Could Members wishing to post tips for Malcolm later in this thread please bear in mind that Bitterns are still at a low population ebb. Please refrain from giving locations that may endanger breeding success at any sites that are not wardened.

We do not know who may use the details posted on the Forum or for what purpose.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
Good morning folks,

I hope you get to hear a 'boom' soon, Malcolm; quite 'unbirdlike' it is too!

Could Members wishing to post tips for Malcolm later in this thread please bear in mind that Bitterns are still at a low population ebb. Please refrain from giving locations that may endanger breeding success at any sites that are not wardened.

We do not know who may use the details posted on the Forum or for what purpose.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,

Andy.

Point taken, Andy: but note: Malcolm's query was SPECIFICALLY about three of the most closely wardened reserves in the UK! AS were the two replies so far!

If all else fails Malcolm, pop out here in Lithuania - Bitterns are common and just about any decent patch of reeds has a boomer or two. If you sit on my kitchen step late evening in spring, you could even hear a boomer echoing up through the pines from a lake a half kilometre or so from me.

Hi Malcolm

I've heared Bitterns booming a few times at Leighton Moss, but I can only imagine what Minsmere sounds like on a spring evening. I have always been to Minsmere at the wrong time of years for the Bitterns booming, but I have seen one every time.

Good Luck Malcolm

Gary

Jos Stratford said:
If all else fails Malcolm, pop out here in Lithuania - Bitterns are common and just about any decent patch of reeds has a boomer or two. If you sit on my kitchen step late evening in spring, you could even hear a boomer echoing up through the pines from a lake a half kilometre or so from me.
No wonder you moved to Lithuania, the fantastic birds you get as common birds from your doorstep!

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply! From what I can gather thus far, it seems Minsmere would be my best bet! Of course, if the lottery could be won then Lithuania could be too! :)

Additionally, what would be the best time of the afternoon to hear them? I have worked out that if we leave home at 10am, we will get to Minsmere around 2pm leaving Minsmere at 5:30 pm would get us home for around 9:30pm. Would we be leaving too early I wonder?

Malcolm Fisher said:
Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply! From what I can gather thus far, it seems Minsmere would be my best bet! Of course, if the lottery could be won then Lithuania could be too! :)

Additionally, what would be the best time of the afternoon to hear them? I have worked out that if we leave home at 10am, we will get to Minsmere around 2pm leaving Minsmere at 5:30 pm would get us home for around 9:30pm. Would we be leaving too early I wonder?
Hi Malcolm!
To be honest, I've heard Bitterns all day at Minsmere! Dawn and dusk are possibly the best times.... but maybe that's just an 'atmosphere' thing!
I seem to recall there were at least 8 boomers this Spring, so you should be OK!
Good luck!

David Bryant said:
Hi Malcolm!
To be honest, I've heard Bitterns all day at Minsmere! Dawn and dusk are possibly the best times.... but maybe that's just an 'atmosphere' thing!
I seem to recall there were at least 8 boomers this Spring, so you should be OK!
Good luck!

That sounds good to me David, thanks for the info! :bounce: I'm going to be looking forward to that very much come spring!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back