• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recomended sites (1 Viewer)

Clive29

Hi There,

I'll be on a slow road trip up route 95 though Georgia travelling from Florida to New York first week of May and am trying to locate good birding locations along the way that might be worth popping into. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Clive

Since I-95 stays fairly close to the coast, most of your quicker access areas will be marsh and lowland forest habitat. Howfyl-Broadfield Plantation Historic Site sounds kind of dry and uninteresting to a birder but it is adjacent and similar in habitat to Altamaha NWR, which is now charging a fee to visit it's freshwater impoundments. The historic site will also have impoundments and good habitat for songbirds and raptors. Overwintering ducks will be gone by late winter/early spring.
To try something unique and also for good birding take the short ferry ride from St. Mary's to Cumberland Island, near the Florida state line. The island is magical in appearance and has a good variety of habitats, from marsh to large live oaks to ocean shoreline. Wild horses, hogs and armadillos add to the exotic atmosphere. Try this site for information:
http://www.stmaryswelcome.com/birdingtrail.html

Don't forget Birdingpal.org, though there are not many contacts on the Georgia coast.

One last place as you leave Georgia and cross into South Carolina that is familiar to birders in both states is the Savannah NWR. A very nice driving tour will take you through freshwater marshes with just enough scrub habitat with a few islands of trees to hold songbirds. Try this site:
http://www.lowcountrybirder.com/savannah-national-wildlife-refuge/

Steve

I didn't mention Sapelo Island, another interesting place to bird. It has the only east coast population of Plain Chachalacas and a variety of habitat similar to but more slightly more populated with houses and people than Cumberland. There is a ferry that goes there but special permission from one of the Gullah inhabitants is required to actually wander the island. If you decide that you might want to try this, I can pass along the number of someone we used for a day visit just recently in December. You can rent bicycles to get around a bit faster.
Really, with all there is to choose from, I hope you've planned for a sloooow road trip!

Steve

Been checking it out Steve, once I've got a better idea of my time schedule I might take you up on the contact, it certainly looks like a great place to visit.. and not too far of the route. Cheers mate

Liz and I have been to Sapelo 5 or 6 times. This trip, we kayaked there, carefully planning our travel with the tides. This gave us only four hours on the island so we spent little time taking pictures. Here are a few samples of the island. We saw some shore and water birds on during our time on the water. Camera work from the seat of a kayak is not easy photography though our return trip was incredibly smooth.

Steve

Attachments

• Sapelo road.jpg
    Sapelo road.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Nannygoat Beach.jpg
    Nannygoat Beach.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Old light station.jpg
    Old light station.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Liz on Doughboy Sound.jpg
    Liz on Doughboy Sound.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 109
The Shrike was at Howfyl-Broadfield Plantation; the others at or on the way to Sapelo Island.
From Jacksonville, Florida, north to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina, the east coast of the US is lined with barrier islands of which Sapelo Island is one. From our home in western North Carolina, exploring and birding this coastlline is one of our favorite getaways.

Steve

Attachments

• Loggerhead Shrike.jpg
    Loggerhead Shrike.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Boat-tailed Grackle.jpg
    Boat-tailed Grackle.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 96
  • American Oystercatchers.jpg
    American Oystercatchers.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 119
  • White Pelicans.jpg
    White Pelicans.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 92
Looks marvelous.. I've been looking at the area all around St Marys and it looks like there is certainly is lots of great habitat.

St. Mary's would be your takeoff point for Cumberland Island. This past trip, we paddled across Cumberland Sound over to the extreme southern end of Cumberland Island from Fort Clinch in Florida. We only spent a couple of hours on the beach there but it was almost completely devoid of birds. A few Terns, Gulls, Brown Pelicans and a lone Sanderling. Let's hope you do better!

Steve

Attachments

• Cumberland Island.jpg
    Cumberland Island.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Sanderling.jpg
    Sanderling.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Scoping the rocks for Purple Sandpipers.jpg
    Scoping the rocks for Purple Sandpipers.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 112
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back