• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with Rapid Strap D link (1 Viewer)

cgilbert

England
Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with the D link wearing thin, as in the attached photos? Its only two years old and had a Canon 400mm f5.6 and 7D on it most of that time and a Tamron 150-600 for the last couple of months, so hardly heavy stuff.

I'm wondering how long its going last now, and I've looked on the R/S web site and can't see any spares mentioned, anyone know where I can get a replacment part, as I'd rather not buy a whole new strap.

Regards,
Cliff

Attachments

• DSCN0667.JPG
    DSCN0667.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN0669.jpg
    DSCN0669.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 202
If you dont have any success from the supplier, you may find a suitable carabiner from one of the online outdoor suppliers. They come in all sorts of sizes and types. If you type in D link you will get computer gadgets.

I have had similar wear on a high security laptop bag that used a similar shaped clip. Some folks just use cheap metal. Clearly you wouldn't want to go climbing with a bigger version made in the same metal!

The trouble is that getting a better specced component can sometimes involve (relatively) silly money making the whole thing too expensive to sell, so it isn't always an easy thing to resolve by the manufacturer since he probably has to buy the things in from somewhere else. On the other hand - some just don't care.

Even if its not mentioned on the web site it may be worth e-mailing them with your tale of woe. If you don't sound threatening they may respond positively to your request for help. It sometimes works for me - youve nothing to lose.

Last edited:
From what I've heard and seen Rapid Strap seems to stand by their system. I think they will mail you another if you contact them. I've had mine for over 2 years, used extensively with a 400mm DO lens on it and now a 100-400 with not visible wear.

Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with the D link wearing thin, as in the attached photos? Its only two years old and had a Canon 400mm f5.6 and 7D on it most of that time and a Tamron 150-600 for the last couple of months, so hardly heavy stuff.

I'm wondering how long its going last now, and I've looked on the R/S web site and can't see any spares mentioned, anyone know where I can get a replacment part, as I'd rather not buy a whole new strap.

Regards,
Cliff

Yes mine sheered while on a recent trip the the States. It was two years old. Luckily I caught the camera! I contacted the company and was very quickly sent a new one.

I have a Black Rapid strap for around 4 years now, Carried a 300/2.8 + tc for a couple of years with it which is heavier than either of your two lenses. My D link shows a little wear but certainly not as much as yours - I would be sure that they would send you another one if you contacted them and attached a pic.

I also have had the RS7 for 3 years and used it with a 300 2.8 and 500 f4 there is
very slight wear,i tend to keep my hand on the lens whilst walking
reducing the abrasive effects of the two metals rubbing together...

I am due to celebrate another year of my dotage in May and am casting around for a possible birthday present.

Currently, I carry my 7D and 100-400 around my neck but it is heavy. I also carry a rucksack with flask and other essentials and my bins suspended from a D ring on the haversack.

I wonder how practical it would be to use an RS7 or somesuch whilst wearing a rucksack?

Any experiences welcome.

Thanks

Colin

I bought a Black Rapid sling at the end of April and last week in Spain I had it fail. Luckily I noticed before a tragedy occurred.

The buckle clip had snapped on one side after only four and a half months use, carrying my 7DII and Sigma 150-600 Sport - a weight of 4kg. Not excessive, especially since when I'm walking with the kit I carry the camera in my right hand by the tripod mount to reduce load on the strap.

When I looked a bit closer the carabiner had similar wear to that shown in the OP, so it's well on the way to failing. This is a sign to me that the steel of the carabiner (an integral part of the sling and not removable) is softer than the steel of the Black Rapid R-3 fastener (a replaceable part) that screws into the tripod mount, allowing the fastener to abrade the carabiner. Not the best selection of materials.

I've written to the supplier this morning complaining about it not being up to the required standard.

Attachments

• IMG_2802-bforum.jpg
    IMG_2802-bforum.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2801-bforum.jpg
    IMG_2801-bforum.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
I did buy an R7 and I have to say that it works very well and makes my 7D and 100-400 much less of a burden.

After a couple of months, I noticed a grating between the carabineer and the fastener which I solved temporarily with Vaseline. Closer inspection revealed signs of wear but not to the extent shown above.

I wrote to BlackRapid who apologised, pointed out that wear with metal on metal was not to be unexpected - they don't say that in the blurb. However, they are sending me a FastenerRStealth which is coated in plastic and used for video cameras to stop any sound interference. Hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully, it will do the trick.

I have to say that their Customer Services were quick off the mark.

Colin

I bought a Black Rapid sling at the end of April and last week in Spain I had it fail. Luckily I noticed before a tragedy occurred.

The buckle clip had snapped on one side after only four and a half months use, carrying my 7DII and Sigma 150-600 Sport - a weight of 4kg. Not excessive, especially since when I'm walking with the kit I carry the camera in my right hand by the tripod mount to reduce load on the strap.

When I looked a bit closer the carabiner had similar wear to that shown in the OP, so it's well on the way to failing. This is a sign to me that the steel of the carabiner (an integral part of the sling and not removable) is softer than the steel of the Black Rapid R-3 fastener (a replaceable part) that screws into the tripod mount, allowing the fastener to abrade the carabiner. Not the best selection of materials.

I've written to the supplier this morning complaining about it not being up to the required standard.

I sent the sling back to the supplier and they gave me a full refund without quibbling, even though the sling was four months old. There was no explanation of the wear encountered.

I mentioned that the metal of the carabiner appears to be softer than the R-3 fastener, but I also noticed that the radius of the cross section of the steel bar from which the carabiner is formed is a lot larger than the compound radius of the inside cross-section of the receiving loop in the fastener itself. This fact will make the rate of wear worse, because the narrower, harder edge of the inside of the fastener concentrates the friction over a smaller contact area, so the fastener acts as a file, wearing away the softer metal.

The narrower cross section of the fastener appears to be partly as a result of the metal of the fastener being moulded on a taper to allow the narrow gape of the carabiner to slot into it when attaching it.

My new Sun Sniper ProII sling arrived this afternoon. It's about the same price as the Black Rapid.

I've not had a chance to try it outside yet, but first impressions are that it's less fiddly, maybe a bit lighter, with fewer bits to go wrong. There's only one adjustment buckle (tucked away in the shoulder strap padding so it won't snag binocular straps etc) and its build looks more robust than the buckle that failed on my Black Rapid. It's comfortable over the shoulder with the camera and lens in place and it comes rated at 5kg max load - a nice margin over the 4kg it will be carrying.

No metal on metal surfaces to abrade other than in the steel ball-bearing equipped tripod mount screw. It looks strong, but I'll sort out a tether of some description between the strap and another point on the tripod mount for insurance.

The next few weeks will tell.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back