• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have $1500 to spend on a scope. (1 Viewer)

Arielelf

Hello everyone. I am new to spotting scopes but have been enjoying shore birding this winter and it is apparent that I need a spotting scope. I ended up buying a Vanguard Endevor HD 82mm at a Cabela's on the way back from visiting family in the south. Its seemed fairly nice in the store but after using it outside I discovered that it is terrible at anything over 35-40mm in brighter light. It is very soft and has tons of CA at higher magnifications and is actually easier to make out details at 20x than at 60x. I am sending it back to see if the tech people at Vanguard think it is substandard for that model or not. I think it must be because it gets very good reviews on amazon.

After doing more research I have decided that I might have been a little naive to think that I could get a decent view for $600 so I have decided to step up my budget to $1500. I know that $1500 is low for a good scope but that it the top of my budget right now.

I am leaning towards the Vortex Razor HD 85mm, which seems to get great reviews and have an amazing warranty, even for accidental damage!! But I am worried because the Vanguard got great reviews too.

What I am wondering, is that my best choice or should I go with a used model of a more premium scope? Like a Zeiss Diascope, Nikon EIII, Kowa?

My wife and I both wear glasses so good eye relief is very important.

I am also interested in digiscoping with a M4/3 camera.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I am also considering the Razor HD 65 model. Has anyone used one of these and would I see much of a difference in the two?

I just realized that maybe I should have posted this in the spotting scope forum, oops!! Sorry about that.

Try the Opticron....I have the HR66 but there is also the 80. I find HR 66 to be just fine for shore birding and it would fall within your budget of $1425. I compared the Opticron to the Swaro 65 (and even the Swaro 80mm as I had that prior) and found that it beat out the Swaro....It also beat out the Kowa....

give it a shot...B and H just got them in stock or do what I did and order they Eagle Optics and give it a try. You will be surprised.... jim

I have been very pleased with my Razor HD 85. The optics are excellent, and it is well built. I have used it from sub-zero F° in the Rockies to the steamy jungles of the Ecuadorian Amazon without any problems.

I have heard good things about Opticrons as well, but I've never tried one myself. Good luck!

Ditto on Jim's comments. I have tried all of the Opticron scopes and they are excellent performers at their price points.

Another to consider would be the Zen Ray Prime 82 mm. Personally I would opt for the 25-50x wide angle zoom out of the options. You barely lose any brightness and no sharpness when zooming from 25 to 50.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back