• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chaffinch or Brambling? east Scotland. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Was sent this recent photo, taken locally by a friend, asking if it was a Brambling. A quick glance on my phone screen suggested it could be. However, looking later on a PC I was much less convinced. I think the orange on the breast is over-saturation from the camera. The bill however looks to be dark tipped and coloured. However this could also be over-saturation from the camera. The yellow flash on the wing is more suggestive of Chaffinch than it is Brambling. I think it looks more like an over-saturated Chaffinch, but there is still an element of doubt, so any opinions welcome.....

Attachments

• 12788237_470246963167981_293073549_n.jpg
    12788237_470246963167981_293073549_n.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 241
I think Brambling too. Although I have seen some very orangey chaffinch this year! Also demarcation between chest and belly colouration seems Brambling.

Brambling I think, looks orangey.

The flank that is in shadow looks pink.

Also demarcation between chest and belly colouration seems Brambling.

I don't think there is actually demarcation there, the far side of the bird is completely blown-out, giving, I think, a false impression of white whereas on the near side the colour continues down the flank and out of the sunlight, appears pink.

Originally Posted by Motmot View Post
Bill colours look brambling to me though
It does, doesn't it! Reconsidering my previous post . . .

I did mention that in the initial post....

The bill however looks to be dark tipped and coloured. However this could also be over-saturation from the camera.

Still a Chaffinch. Seen plenty with dark tipped and brownish bills. Ever this pic from birdguides shows it.

00022391.jpg

Thanks, folks. My pal will be disappointed that it is just a Chaffie but it was interesting to see the discussion mirroring the 'conversation' I had with myself while trying to reach a conclusive ID for the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back