• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick Cormorant? (1 Viewer)

Robotbrat

Hello friends,

Please forgive me if this information is available elsewhere in these forums, I don't really know what I'm searching for when looking for this information!

The bird in these pictures has taken up residence on my front deck (I'm about a half a mile from a bird sanctuary/ocean shoreline). He seems healthy if extremely thirsty, but isn't at all inclined to leave either. We think it may have been attracted by our birdbaths.

It moved from the spot in these pictures to perch on our car. We gently shooed it out of danger when moving the car, but it keeps returning to this spot under the bushes. It seems quite content and like it's settling in. (edit: I can't seem to figure out how to add a second picture to show the spot it's currently settled in)

We called the local wildlife/bird rehabilitator and she identified it as a wild Cormorant, but also said she would not come to collect it as they are very common and one of the least rescued seabirds.

We'd like to help if it needs it or to be good hosts in general to our new wild friend, but we're not really sure what's going on with it or if there's anything we can do.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much in advance!
Christine

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really surprised that the wildlife rehabber wouldn't come and at least take a look at it. Does it let you get close to it? If so, I would definitely say something is wrong with it. Do you have any water packed tuna fish around. Not sure it would eat it but it's worth a try.

As a former New Yorker, I know Breezy Point so here is a list of Rehabbers in the Breezy Point area. I would try calling each and everyone of them. And BTW, a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum. Here's the link:

http://www.yellowpages.com/breezy-point-ny/wildlife-rescue

Yep, a young Double-crested Cormorant. Be careful about getting too close, it could give a nasty bite if it wanted to - for a minimum, wear eye protectors (like these). Otherwise, if it really is tame enough to allow handling, a whole fresh fish from the fishmonger would be better than tuna chunks. They can eat surprisingly large fish compared to their size, it wouldn't have any problem swallowing something like a medium-sized mackerel whole.

But best of all if you are able to catch it, take it down to the sea and release it there.

Over the years in the UK I have often seen young shags get themselves into difficult human situations but never Cormorants. Does the Double Crested have a reputation for this sort of behaviour?

Over the years in the UK I have often seen young shags get themselves into difficult human situations but never Cormorants. Does the Double Crested have a reputation for this sort of behaviour?

Not at all. I don't think I've ever seen one not in the water or at the water's edge except on territory in the breeding colonies. Cormorants in public parks often get very tame, however, though never in my experience so tame as the bird here seems to be.

As a teenager I once had a European Shag that I found on the beach on the way home from school.
I tried returning it to the sea but it hated swimming and came straight back out - no soiled plumage.
I took it home and tried to give it fish - it completely ignored them unless I held the fish perpendicular to its eye - it would then, and only then, recognize the fish as food and eat it.
The bird was very tame and would run over to me every morning, sit on my shoulder and preen my hair and ears but despite repeated attempts to return it to the sea it always came straight back out. I went fishing for it every day - sometimes with it sitting on my shoulder as I stood on the shore. I looked after it for the few months of the summer holidays and in the end had to take it to a sanctuary.

I visited the bird a few months later and it was sat as far as it could be from a small pond they had there. Never did find out what was wrong with it.

It didn't come running over, maybe because it didn't recognize me but mostly because it had become obese and probably couldn't move. It had eaten so much and packed on the weight. It was like a barrel!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back