• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heuglin's Gulls wintering in Uganda? (1 Viewer)

FabioOlmos

Hello
Apologies for cross-postings. This should have been posted here first time

On the 2nd of January I recorded a flock with at least 250 larger gulls on the north bank of Kazinga Channel, Queen Elizabeth National Park (Uganda). This was close to the point the channel joins Lake Edward.
Most of the gulls seemed to be dark-backed Baltic-type Lesser Black-backed Gulls (Larus f. fuscus) but there were a few birds with lighter grey backs. These lacked the neck streaks shown by many (but not all) dark-backed birds.
I think they are Heuglin's Gulls, a view supported by a few people I talked with but I'd appreciate any insight you may have.

Thank you

Fabio

Attachments

• BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 975.JPG
    BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 975.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 162
  • BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 1029.JPG
    BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 1029.JPG
    872.1 KB · Views: 146
  • BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 1039.JPG
    BF Kazinga 2017-01-02 1039.JPG
    881.4 KB · Views: 103
Most likely the same group we had on 13 January also this year at Katwe Wildlife Sanctuary in that area. Also mostly Baltic type Lesser Black-backed Gulls with some very few Heuglin's among them. No chance for pictures, however. They were too far off for getting anything decent.

The observation was a bit pushed to the background as we later had a Painted Snipe real well at the nearby saltworks: See post #7 here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=338688

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back