• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wigeon ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

When I was at Rutland Water last week there was mention of American Wigeon being n the water. I have read that the male is quite easy to note by its white head stripe and green cheek.The females look almost identical between a wigeon and an American one. Of these pictures are they all Wigeon, which is how they look to me, or are there any Americans ?

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF5198.jpg
    DSCF5198.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF5238.jpg
    DSCF5238.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF5282.jpg
    DSCF5282.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF5186.jpg
    DSCF5186.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF5227.jpg
    DSCF5227.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 66
Apart from the odd Tufted Duck all those look like ordinary Eurasian Wigeon.

The drake American Wigeon is regularly in front of Lapwing Hide. on the South Arm 3 section of the main reservoir.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back