• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher pics required - good price paid! (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Well as mentioned yesterday, I returned to Clara Vale armed with Digital SLR, and 170-500mm lens and waited for the pretty one to arrive. Sadly he wasn't playing ball (yet again) and so for the umpteenth time I missed Kingfisher when I had my camera with me. It is now a stunning statistic that the 8/9 sightings I have had of Kingfisher have been without camera, except once when he played at close range and the camera had no battery!! - never see them when camera is around - waited a few hours - nothing.

Below a few of the decent shots I got once I realised I had been experimenting with the camera at home previously and had the wrong settings!

Dunnock, Fem Siskin, Male Siskin and Greenfinch - but I'm sure you all knew that;-)

I promise Bill, I will have a Kingfisher pic by the end of the week!!!

Attachments

• Dunnock.JPG
    Dunnock.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 60
  • FSiskin2.JPG
    FSiskin2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 65
  • Siskin.JPG
    Siskin.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Greenfinch.JPG
    Greenfinch.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi Steve,

Steady lad, don't make promises that you can't keep!

Well you may not have got the 'fisher but you got some nice shots there. I especially like the f Siskin, one of those nice uncluttered ones that are so difficult to get. I see that the Dunnock is rung, I think that's the first ringed Dunnock that I've seen; I guess that the lads do ring plenty of them but I've not seen them.

Well now that you've got your feet wet with that camera we'll look forward to more of the same (well similar).

Bill.

Thanks Bill - I hadn't realised but they are the first pics I have ever posted! disgraceful when you think I've had cameras ever since I came on the forum 8-P

Clara Vale is a well known ringing station as well - so I would imagine a high percentage of birds wil be "married" lol

Perhaps I should look for the more off-beat photo opportunities Bill, like today when everone scattered and I scanned everywhere for the Sparrowhawk only to see a cat walk through the feeding station!

Hi Steve

There is nothing worse than birds putting on a show when your camera isn't working.
When me and my daughter were at Clara Vale on Sunday the guys were there ringing the birds but they didn't seem to frighten them of this time. One of the guys said that the kingfisher has been caught and ringed in the past so it has been around for quite a while.
Did you see the picture Jim took of her when he was up here in December, and of course I took that picture in the other thread on Sunday but that was as close as she came to the hide this time.

Great pics, hang in there :storm:

Why not try Jesmond Dene? I had fabulous views of a Kingfisher just twenty feet or so away last weekend ;)
Best spot was between the Fishermans Lodge and the two bridges - quite a few Stock Doves there too o:)

Hi Steve.
Your elusive Kingfisher shot is a bit like my Potteric Bittern pics, zilch at the moment. I like the four that you've posted. Well done.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Steve,
I notice you have mastered the art of "focus" I can see the differences between your subject in the backround then foreground well done.

Ive lost loads of good shots where the camera (not me) lol! has decided to focus on the nearest object.

Good luck with the Kingfisher (join the club)!!

Smashing photos Steve :clap: , and nice to see a Dunnock photo on the forum too. Such busy little birds aren't they!

Good idea to look for some 'off beat' photos, you may win one of our caption competitions one day, so be prepared ;)

No.I'm not joking. I don't know what the terrain is like but k/fishers can't resist landing on almost any perch that gives them a clear view of the water below so, create a perch where you want it but please not a NO FISHING sign.Something about the thickness of a walking stick with a stubby spur or think of something yourself.Create your own scenario.

good luck.I'm quite serious. maurice

Gill Osborne said:
Why not try Jesmond Dene? I had fabulous views of a Kingfisher just twenty feet or so away last weekend ;)
Best spot was between the Fishermans Lodge and the two bridges - quite a few Stock Doves there too o:)

Jesmond Dene! - Good Grief! I want my car to be there when I get back Gill lol. Clara Vale is usually very good - I watched it yesterday for ages.

Dave will testify, the last north east BF meet I made the decision to skip Far Pasture in Gateshead, and head to Clara Vale. There the Kingfisher was overshadowed by dozens of Redpoll and I think it was about 8 Sparrowhawks in the air together! - A great day.

Baz - hang in there, Kingfisher were my nemesis up until seeing the first - they then become regular. If it is any consolation, I have had to travel to Minsmere the last 2 years for my Bittern. Heard them a Leighton Moss - but never seen them there.

I agree with you Pam, I like the Dunnock shot as it was very well hidden. I was searching everywhere for a Wren, another under-photographed bird. Perhaps I'll take more pics and less twitching. I'm sure Bri will encourage me as he hates the competition.

mauricek said:
No.I'm not joking. I don't know what the terrain is like but k/fishers can't resist landing on almost any perch that gives them a clear view of the water below so, create a perch where you want it but please not a NO FISHING sign.Something about the thickness of a walking stick with a stubby spur or think of something yourself.Create your own scenario.

good luck.I'm quite serious. maurice

No problem Maurice - we must have posted at the same time. Clara Vale is a nice little spot with quite literally dozens of the natural perches you refer to. See Dave's recent thread "My Clara Vale Kingfisher"

Steve

Quacker said:
Jesmond Dene! - Good Grief! I want my car to be there when I get back Gill lol...

:-O Oh dear - has the Dene deteriorated THAT much in the past few years?
WE parked next to Pets Corner a couple of Saturday's ago but, I have to admit, it WAS a busy day as it was warm and sunny and the hordes were out en masse! ;)

I'll have to pop over to Clara Vale (and just Gateshead in general!) soon as it sounds like there's quite a few nice sites.

Hi Steve,
Great shots I especially like the Dunnock. :t:

Quacker said:
I will have a Kingfisher pic by the end of the week!!
Hope this will put you on till then and good luck!!!!
PS,That'll be £5!!! 8-P

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpeg
    Kingfisher.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back