• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

23/30 eyepiece discontinued? (1 Viewer)

dipped

According to Birdnet Optics ltd they have been told by Zeiss that the 23/30x eyepiece is now discontinued.

I thought diascope owners might like to know in case you want to get one while you can.

I can't believe it won't be replaced with something around the same mag. or an improved version.

Nev

Last edited:
According to several sources (Steven Ingraham, Birdwatchers.com, etc.) the eyepiece is indeed discontinued due to lack of demand. I tried one out on my Diascope 85 and found it to be no better than my 20-60X zoom eyepiece (this particular unit had severe chromatic aberration) in that I could not perceive a significant difference in terms of brightness or contrast. So I've decided that I can be happy w/ the 20-60X zoom eyepiece!

I can't believe it won't be replaced with something around the same mag. or an improved version.

I find it hard to believe myself, but then the good news is that the Diascope will take astro eyepieces with an adapter, so you aren't out of luck even if you don't find the Zeiss eyepiece still in stock somewhere.

--AP

I'm glad I bought a 23x on my Diascope 65 last year. It's sharper than the zoom was, and has a greater FOV as well. Lovely to track flying raptors, I used to do that with the zoom at 15x but the 23x eyepiece gives better detail, combined with 52 m FOV and good edge sharpness.

Regards, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back