• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's it done? (1 Viewer)

Keith Glasgow

Here are a couple of oil paintings by John Trickett (I hope he doesn't mind).

I'm always trying to figure out how a painting is executed - and gain a few tips in the process. I've only had the privilege of viewing a few original 'Tricketts', and when I did, I've had a close look at the canvas and studied the brush marks. Judging by the marks left in the paint, the background is blocked in, and softened with a 3" or 4" brush to give the soft out-of-focus effect (the marks of the hairs from a large brush are just about visible). In the labrador painting, a few sharper edged grasses or branches are added in the foreground while the paint is still wet. All really quite simple, obvious and quick to do - until I try it myself, that is!

I've noticed his tones have a dark bias - this give a lovely moody atmosphere. I can do something similar to a photo in 'Photoshop' if I use the 'highlights/shadows' control in 'adjustments'.

What are your thoughts on his palette - yellow ochre, burnt sienna...?? He uses a distinctive 'Trickett palette' that is very warm, and rich, but still subtle (not bright or garish) - I love it! What colours are in there?

Any thoughts?

Keith.

Attachments

• 12167-F.jpg
    12167-F.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 12776-F.jpg
    12776-F.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Trickett.jpg
    Trickett.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back