• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stroud canals (1 Viewer)

I don't know what the detailed plans for the canal are, I suppose they are out there somewhere. I agree when you say that 'over-leisured' will be detrimental to wildlife, that's one of the negatives of the planned sports complex I think. Its a difficult balance to strike isn't it?

There is a little detail here
http://www.cotswoldcanals.net/phase_1a.php

I think the development will be too intrusive for the existing wildlife and that the canal people don't understand wildlife that well. Speaking to them last year, one said "the wildlife will come back" and didn't really get that it won't be the same wildlife because the habitat will have changed.

I suppose there's 'wildlife' and there's 'wildlife the public can enjoy'. There is no doubt more wildlife in wild unrestored stretches of the canal but if no-one sees it, it has no 'leisure value'

If anyone's really interested, this is one of many Youtube videos on the canal restoration. It's long, but the state of some of the lost areas whilst looking derelict still illustrate the points made here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tcfqv0gp68

Last edited:
Interesting video Fromebridge. Some parts seemed to be quite old footage.

I wonder what a similar video taken a few years in the future would look like?

The latest missive from Ecotricity popped throught the letterbox yesterday, did you get it too Fromebridge?

Yes, we had their newsletter and a letter from the Council giving us an option to comment on it.

I see the latest plan has done away with the business park and just includes the football ground now. I assume there will no longer be plans to help in the opening up of the canal which was talked about as part of the original plans.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back