• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

potential bird picture (1 Viewer)

Jacana

Will Jones
Spain
Hi there,

I have been asked to do a picture for the school i go to of birds. I thought i'd do 11 birds, representing the 11 houses of the school, and chosing species with the house colours. These are the birds i've come up with so far, i was hoping someone would suggest possible better species for each house...

Light blue & white: Cerulean Warbler
Red & Gold: Golden Pheasant
Purple & White: Amythyst Starling
Maroon & Grey: Black-tailed Crake
Dark blue & Gold: Blue & Gold Macaw
Brown & White: Brown Booby
Black, White & Pink: Painted Stork
Gold & Brown: Great Kiskadee
Red & Black: Scarlet Tanager
Dark blue & Light blue ???
Green & White: Green Imperial Pigeon

I'd welcome any suggestions

Hi Jacana - very interesting project, good luck. I suppose for d&l blue, you could always do European kingfisher?

thanks, I did think of kingfisher, but too much orange on the bird... it really needs to be entirely/mostly dark and light blue. Did think of Small Niltava, but I'd prefer a more "impressive" species

Or Red-legged Honeycreeper - seriously blue!
Interesting choice on the crake and how about Black & Red Broadbill?? I have attached a couple of my sketches for reference - hope they're useful, I think you can read the notes on them!
Good luck - let us see the end result of course
Ads

sketches 009 (Large).jpgsketches 010 (Large).jpg

i did think of the broadbill, but i've done a bit of reworking of what i'll do...

Light blue & white: Cerulean Warbler
Red & Gold: Chestnut Bunting (still unsure about this one)
Purple & White: Amethyst Starling
Maroon & Grey: Goliath Heron
Dark blue & Gold: Blue & Gold Macaw
Brown & White: Brown Booby
Black, White & Pink: Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Gold & Brown: Great Kiskadee
Red & Black: Scarlet Minivet
Dark blue & Light blue: Mountain Bluebird
Green & White: Green Imperial Pigeon

and i missed out a house, the school is getting girls next year for the first time in our 500 year history!
Dark Blue & Pink: still deciding...

btw, i love your crake and broadbill!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back