• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One good Tern.......... (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

.............deserves six others!!!!

East Chevington, Sunday early evening, the following species were all present together ! !

White-Winged Black Tern

Black Tern

Roseate Tern

Little Tern

Common Tern

Arctic Tern

Sandwich Tern

SEVEN !! species all sitting on same mud bank. :king:

S & J.

N, E, 4, Toes......?

sorry, no pics.... several other people saw them though.

i would think that there is "a" chance of getting them again, as long as the 2 black terns stay, as the others seem to be daily visitors..?

3 little gull also, & Otter reported in the morning.

we are going to try to get "all digi-scoped up" asap!

(This could be start of a new Thread......i can remember someone (not me) finding 3 owl species roosting in the same bush..... Barn, Long-eared & Tawny.)

S :t:

God, that's excellent!! I'd be happy with just the Roseate on my local patch, but to get all those is amazing!

That is unreal. I don't think that I have ever heard of these seven Terns ever coming together before, on one site, in Britain. Does anyone else know differently.

I'm not normally an envious person but there are exceptions, and this is one of them. I wish I had witnessed this remarkable event.

That's one for the memory banks Steve.

Not quite the same (it was in Lesbos 2001) but I did have

Lesser-crested
Black
White-winged Black
Whiskered
Little
Common
all on the same mudbank (with Gull-billed in the distance)

All seven still there today - been there, seen 'em all!

Couldn't quite fit all seven into one 'scope field of view, though, as the 2 Little Terns were a bit off to the right of the others, and the Black Tern a little too far left.

Plus a stunning full summer adult Little Gull, too (and a whole lot of moulting first-summers)

Michael

No Roseate or Little when I visited yesterday morning...but got good views of the Otter as a consolation.
Will post a full trip report on "Your Birding Day" later this evening.

new record...... ?

Does anyone know if this collection of species has been previously observed, all at one location ?

Is there a photo/digital image available, from North'd ?

Thanks in anticipation.

S :t:

Cemlyn Bay, Anglesey simultaneously held a good collection of terns some years back:

Bridled.
Black.
Common.
Arctic.
Roseate.
Sandwich.
Little.

Seven species together is always going to be difficult to top, at least in Europe, but I guess it's happened on several occasions.

In southern Europe Arctic and Roseate will always be unlikely but there is far more chance there of Caspian, Whiskered and Gull-billed to compensate.

MV

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back