• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Thanks Everyone. i think I have to turn the Phal into a Painting. I love the Sketches. More than anything else i've done I think!

Well here's a group of Sketches of a Dunlin, for a possible Future Painting...I still need to Complete the Set of Waders with Curlew Sand, Dunlin and Redshank in!

Attachments

• Sketch007.jpg
    Sketch007.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 83
Well here's a group of Sketches of a Dunlin, for a possible Future Painting...I still need to Complete the Set of Waders with Curlew Sand, Dunlin and Redshank in!

Very impressed with these latest sketches of yours Zac. The wader in flight (bottom right) especialy is superbly observed.

Matt

Hi Everyone, thanks for the feedback.
I'm staring a painting today on my day off, which i hope to have finished by the end of it!
I'll post a photo ever stage I think.
Don't worry about the current state of bold colours! I aim to add feather detail if I can, this is just a base layer.

Attachments

• IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 75
I can strongly recommend cardboard boxes, I'm glad I'm not the only one to use them. (I used to eat a scary amount of frozen pizzas just for the box!) This is coming on very well, indeed, just don't overwork it, the tertials are almost done IMO and just need the feather pattern added. Great stuff.

I'm very sorry everyone, but I have ruined the Wilsons!

Heres the effort of a painting that I am extremely unhappy about...especially the background!

Attachments

• IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 79
  • wilsons.jpg
    wilsons.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 80
you haven't ruined anything at all, I like this a lot. Is is because you've put too much paint on the background perhaps? Remember, when painting on a tinted surface, it can be useful to let some of the background colour shine through, you don't need to cover everything in paint (you can if you want to of course!).

If you're unhappy about this one, you're going to one day be one of the best, at your age I'd have been thrilled to have painted this!

So to sum up, I like this, you don't, I don't think I can convince you to like it either. I'll enjoy looking at the picture, you'll put it down to experience and make the next one even better!

(apologies for rambling, I've got a MAN COLD (aaarghh) and the part of my brain that deals with coherent speech is apparently coming out of my nose)

Y'know Zac - I actually think it's great! - Maybe the water's a bit too tentative. If in doubt with water don't try and 'fudge it' - makean almost identical reflection of your subject and paint it as accurately as you can. Once you've done this there are a couple of techniques to make it look like water. Definitely don't give up on it - it's looking ace.

I like this one too Zac. I think what appeals to me is the loosness of your brushwork, don't ever loose that!

Woody

Woody - Looseness? What do you mean by that?

Thanks everyone for the comments

It has to do with the 'free' way you've treated the water in this case. It appears that you've not spent your time worrying about any tiny details you've just gone in with the idea of making a few marks that will represent water. I tend to get too tied down in detail which can seriously harm the life in a painting. Look at Nick's work or Brin Edwards or John Threlfall or perhaps Daniel Cole. All of them show that freedom from the constraints of detail that you are starting to show. Your paintings show great promise and I, for one, would hate to see you getting tied up in trying to paint too much detail and would love to see you retain and develop the energy which you show now.

Woody

I agree too , Woody well said . I also sometimes feel that I'm a slave to
detail. As are alot of other artists I know that have a photo realistic
style.

It seems we try for years to get good at being accurate regarding
our representations only to feel that they are missing something
of the freshness and life

Try and keep that freshness Zac !

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back