• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white bird, NE TX, USA (1 Viewer)

Clearly a leucistic bird, and it is structured and behaving like something in the sparrow family. It's also quite long-tailed - but I can't really put a species name to it with much confidence.

I'm an intermediate birder but I see a lot of white throated, and that's what I was thinking as I posted. Yes, kind of feels like white throated. Suppose it could be white crowned, not as many of those around, though.

Can see why you might call it a junco, though, too.

Image 3 in particular rules out junco with the streaking, brown colouration and hint of dark supercilium.
Possibly. Though I have seen leucistic birds where what should be black is instead a brownish colour, mixed in with white feathers. Also, some juncos, females in particular can be very brown on top.

Still not sure on this one.

Possibly. Though I have seen leucistic birds where what should be black is instead a brownish colour, mixed in with white feathers. Also, some juncos, females in particular can be very brown on top.

Still not sure on this one.

As Tony notes, "rusty" not the same brown as Oregon and other juncos with brown. But anyway, I don't think any juncos have brown on this specific part of the wing to begin with. If they do it is more greyish.

I was thinking the other day, the juncos are gone, don't ignore flocks of dark birds. So if it's still around, especially in a month, probably not a junco (if the sparrows stay?)

It's at a feeder at somebody's house, hard to get permission to go up there, unfortunately :(

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back