• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Can anyone help me ID a couple of bird species I saw today on the beach at Seaton Carew?

The first bird was not a wader allthough it was picking through the seaweed at the tide line, there was a pair of them and they were about the size of sparrows, maybe slightly bigger. They were very flighty so I could not get very good views, but I did see a definate pure white rump and underside and a black band along the edge of the tail, and possibly black tips to the wings? My first thought was juvenile Wheatear because of the way the birds stood upright.

The second bird was flying above us. At first I thought it was a redshank because of it's call and shape but it seemed larger and had a dark brown underside. I could not see the bill very clearly, but I dont think it was very long.

Sorry about the haphazard descriptions! Does anyone have any ideas?

Matt

A day spent with club member Ken Tait covering from the Headland down to RSPB Saltholme and Cowpen Bewley W. Pk.

The Headland - c.9.30am - Common Scoter c.100 including a female seen very close to shore all heading north. In the harbour - Dunlin x1, Ringed Plover x1, Turnstone x8, Oystercatcher c.20, Eider x5 and Cormorant. Also bumped into Jbee and Scuzz.

Newburn Bridge - very quiet over high tide whcih wasn't very high - Sanderling, Turnstone, Ringed Plover. No sign of the Med. Gull.

Seaton Common - not a great deal, just Kestrel and Linnets.

RSPB Saltholme - Greenshank, Snipe, Ruff, Lapwing plus a fox from the Saltholme Pools hide.

Cowpen Bewley W.Pk. - Sparrowhawk and Common Buzzard.

Apparently three Buzzard, two Sparrowhawk and a Marsh Harrier were over Dormans Pool in the afternoon.

This evening - Saline Lagoon - Curlew Sandpiper x2, Dunlin x5, Curlew, Kestrel and Redshank.

Attachments

• IMG_5074ao.jpg
    IMG_5074ao.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4995a.jpg
    IMG_4995a.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5137a.jpg
    IMG_5137a.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5373ao.jpg
    IMG_5373ao.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5445a.jpg
    IMG_5445a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 110
I got dropped off at Dormans Pool this morning and worked my way over to Haverton Holl via RSPB Saltholme once it opened.

Dormans Pool - Very little around the top car park bushes today. The highlights were two Sparrowhawks chasing each other around followed by a Greenshank passing overhead as it flew from Rec. Pond onto Dormans Pool. Also a Cetti's Warbler half way along the track to the lower car park. More or less in the same place I heard one earlier in the week. At least 14 Little Egret were scattered about.

The roadside brambles by the level crossing held a pair of Stonechat, Whitethroat, Reed Bunting and a few Greenfinch. A Kestrel was hunting over the rough ground.

Saltholme Pond - west - lots of Lapwing along the causeway and lots of geese on the water. A Greenshank and a few Little Grebe were at the north end.

Saltholme Pond - east - a pair of Spotted Redshank were tucked in below the reeds right beside the layby which of course I didn't see until I walked along the kerb and they took off. The only birds close to the road were Little Grebe, Pochard, Mallard, Cormorant and Gadwall.

RSPB Saltholme -

Bottom Tank - Ruff x3, Redshank, Greenshank, Canada Geese c.12, Yellow Wagtail (adults) x4, Pied Wagtail, Sparrowhawk (adult fem). Quite a few Swallows and a few Sand Martin around as well.

Wildlife Watchpoint - a Marsh Harrier was hunting between Haverton Hole and the sub-station as I approached the hide. In front of the hide - Black-tailed Godwit x1 asleep quite close to the hide, Greenshank, Pochard, Little Grebe, Coot, moorhen, Gadwall.

Haverton Hole - no sign of the Marsh Harrier from the viewpoint. Lots of ducks and geese on the pools comprising Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Gadwall, Mallard, Moorhen. Several Heron and Mute Swan around as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5900ao.jpg
    IMG_5900ao.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5792ao.jpg
    IMG_5792ao.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5679ao.jpg
    IMG_5679ao.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5953ao.jpg
    IMG_5953ao.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6093ao.jpg
    IMG_6093ao.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 100
Surprise Home Visit

Been having regular visits to the feeders over the past four days of a rather persistent Sparrowhawk, failing to capitalise on a meal until today, finally nailed an unsuspecting Blue Tit. I have never had a raptor as persistent as this in the garden, managed to get a few good photo's (Obvious female by size and pale supercilium

Attachments

• DSCF4321(1)(1).JPG
    DSCF4321(1)(1).JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF4326(1)(1).JPG
    DSCF4326(1)(1).JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 125
Very quiet everywhere I went this morning.

Seaton Common this morning - nothing of note - Kestrel, Linnets, Meadow Pipits and Goldfinch.

Greatham Creek - I only checked the Saline Lagoon - Dunlin x19, Greenshank and a Redshank!

There seem to be plenty of Greenshank around this year. Today I saw them on Saline Lagoon (1), Dormans Pool (2), Saltholme Pond east (2), Saltholme Pond west (1), the Bottom Tank (1)and three at the Wildlife Watchpoint.

RSPB Saltholme -

Feeders by the visitor centre - Great Spotted Woodpecker juvenile.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Greenshank, Snipe, Kestrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Little Grebe, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan, Coot and Moorhen.

Bottom Tank - Greenshank, Ruff, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtail.

Attachments

• IMG_6293a.jpg
    IMG_6293a.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6508a.jpg
    IMG_6508a.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6247a.jpg
    IMG_6247a.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6390ao.jpg
    IMG_6390ao.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6519a.jpg
    IMG_6519a.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 98
Saltholme Pond east - pm - One of the Spotted Redshanks was giving close views from the roadside. Three in total seen by others. Nineteen Little Egret were stood in a row beside the reeds sheltering from the strong winds with another on the east shore. A Greenshank and Ruff x4 were feeding by the Spotted Redshank.

RSPB Saltholme - Wildlife Watchpoint - Snipe x1, Greenshank x1, Little Grebe x2, Heron, Little Egret x1, Gadwall x4, Teal x8.

Attachments

• IMG_7878ao.jpg
    IMG_7878ao.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7868bo.jpg
    IMG_7868bo.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7844aoo.jpg
    IMG_7844aoo.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8071ao.jpg
    IMG_8071ao.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8082ao.jpg
    IMG_8082ao.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 102
A pretty good day bird wise.

RSPB Saltholme this morning - east pond - Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, BN Grebe.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Marsh Harrier hunting over the reeds for around 30 minutes. Greenshank on the mud clsoe to the hide plus a Little Egret. Another three Little Egret a little more distant with Greenhank and Black-tailed Godwit. Also with Little Grebe, Pochard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Mallard on the water.

Harltepool Headland this afternoon.

Old Cemetery Road - Whinchat into double figures, Common Redstart and Wheatear. A Red-breasted Flycatcher and Tree Pipit seen by others.

Borough Hall Gardens - Firecrest, Spotted Flycatcher x2, Wood Warbler, Willow Warbler and Garden Warbler. A Barred Warbler, Pied Flycatcher and Garden Warbler were trapped and ringed whilst I was there. Wryneck had been seen earlier by others as well.

Seaton Common - Whinchat x5.

Attachments

• IMG_8143a.jpg
    IMG_8143a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8186a.jpg
    IMG_8186a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9058a.jpg
    IMG_9058a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9083a.jpg
    IMG_9083a.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9087aa.jpg
    IMG_9087aa.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 152
A pretty good day bird wise.

RSPB Saltholme this morning - east pond - Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, BN Grebe.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Marsh Harrier hunting over the reeds for around 30 minutes. Greenshank on the mud clsoe to the hide plus a Little Egret. Another three Little Egret a little more distant with Greenhank and Black-tailed Godwit. Also with Little Grebe, Pochard, Gadwall, Tufted Duck and Mallard on the water.

Harltepool Headland this afternoon.

Old Cemetery Road - Whinchat into double figures, Common Redstart and Wheatear. A Red-breasted Flycatcher and Tree Pipit seen by others.

Borough Hall Gardens - Firecrest, Spotted Flycatcher x2, Wood Warbler, Willow Warbler and Garden Warbler. A Barred Warbler, Pied Flycatcher and Garden Warbler were trapped and ringed whilst I was there. Wryneck had been seen earlier by others as well.

Seaton Common - Whinchat x5.

Nice to see your Barred Warbler pics came out. Mine are as usual...terrible! :-O

It's been pretty good for migrants on the Headland the last two days as well though much the same birds still. Yesterday the Wood Warbler was giving much better views and the Barred Warbler was all around the trees by the Putting Green and Borough Hall. Also about were Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Common Whitethroat, Garden Wabler, Firecrest and Willow Warbler 6+, Blackcap and Common Redstart.

Today the Pied Flycatchers and Firecrest were the main birds showing well though the Barred Warbler and Garden Warbler were present first thing plus Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat.

Attachments

• IMG_0522bbo.jpg
    IMG_0522bbo.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0619ao.jpg
    IMG_0619ao.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0020ao.jpg
    IMG_0020ao.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9439ao.jpg
    IMG_9439ao.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9443b.jpg
    IMG_9443b.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 132
Ian - Where abouts on the Headland do I go to try and see the Firecrest and Redstart? I have only been up there once before so dont really know which areas to head for.

Matt

There's been two Firecrests in the trees in front of the Borough Hall. They have been just about anywhere in the trees around the circular seating area though mostly in the big tree immediately in front of the Borough Hall.

Another was trapped and ringed yesterday close by so there could well be others.

Redstart have been in the Jewish Cemetery along Old Cemetery Road and in the Corft near the Borough Hall (the small park opposite the hall with benches and flowers in the bank side) but they could be in any trees and bushes just about anywhere on the Headland.

It's a place where it's well worth just wandering around and checking any bushes/open spaces you come across.

I forgot to mention last night -

Saltholme east - Spotted Redshank x2, Greenshank x4, Ruff x3.

Saltholme west - Little Stint and Golden Plover x36 along the causeway, the most I've seen so far.

Tidal Pool - Greenshank, Golden Plover x2, Dunlin c.60.

It's been pretty good for migrants on the Headland the last two days as well though much the same birds still. Yesterday the Wood Warbler was giving much better views and the Barred Warbler was all around the trees by the Putting Green and Borough Hall. Also about were Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Common Whitethroat, Garden Wabler, Firecrest and Willow Warbler 6+, Blackcap and Common Redstart.

Today the Pied Flycatchers and Firecrest were the main birds showing well though the Barred Warbler and Garden Warbler were present first thing plus Lesser Whitethroat and Common Whitethroat.

Great photos again Ian, as always. The Barred Warblers are particularly good, seldom that you get chance for photos out in the open and showing all the field characters together. Great undertail coverts!

Mark

Photography Item found at South Gare

Has anyone lost a photography Item at South Gare.
The Item was found a couple of days ago by a couple walking there dog and was handed to me to try and locate the owner.
PM me with details if you think It's yours.

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve.

Plenty to see today & a very wide selection of species

On the main lake
3 Pintail, 17 Shoveller, 4 Wigeon, 15 Teal, 30 Gadwall, 50 Mallard, 14 Swan, 1GCGrebe, 20+ Dabchick, 2 Cormorant, 5 Heron
4 Greenshank, 2 Ruff, 1 Common Sand, 2 Snipe, 7 Curlew
8 Sand Martin, 40 each of Swallow & House Martin
7 Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, 2 Sparrowhawk

One of the approaches to the reserve, The Foulmarts Lane, held a good selection too, with Singles of Pied Flycatcher (1st site record) & Redstart were a bonus - but perhaps not entirely unexpected after this weeks deluge of coastal drift migrants.
Here 27 Tree Sparrow included many young - its seems to have been a good year for many of the passerines, a family of 9Grey Partridge, 20 Linnet, 20 Goldfinch & a Little Owl which was mobbed by various species including the Redstart.

Still a few Yellow Wags about, at least a dozen, mostly feeding amongst the cattle on A1 Flashes:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md_g_8EHyUQ

With them were 20+ Pied Wags & 30+ Mipits. There was a grey-backed juvvy wagtail with a pale face which stood out from the rest. I hoped might be a Citrine, but i couldnt get enough on it as they went away across the field.

The A1 Flashes area could do with some water in, but still held lots of birds Kingfisher on the Stell, 10+ Yellow Wagtail, 30 Mipit, 1 Wheatear, 1 Whinchat, 1Little Egret, 82 Teal, 9 Shoveller, 1Little Owl(new location), 1 Willow Warbler, 2Chiffchaff, 12 LTTit, 4 Bullfinch & 28+ Pied Wagtail.

Just east of the village, The roadside pool aka Stoneybeck Lake is a handy spot to check in passing. This morning 2 Common Buzzard mewed overhead, a seemingly semi-resident fem Pintail, juv Shelduck, 1 Greenshank, 12+Corn Bunting

Castle Lake is situated imediately south of Bishop Middleham - it is managed as a Nature Reserve by Durham Bird Club - Keys for the hide can be purchased from the Conservation Officer of the DBC.

NB:
It took me 4 seconds to capture some of these images

Attachments

• Pint_10th_SEPT_2010-012.gif
    Pint_10th_SEPT_2010-012.gif
    42.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Gshanks_10th_SEPT_2010-027.gif
    Gshanks_10th_SEPT_2010-027.gif
    122.6 KB · Views: 105
  • LO2_10th_SEPT_2010-024.gif
    LO2_10th_SEPT_2010-024.gif
    244.8 KB · Views: 118
  • WandW_10th_SEPT_2010-077.gif
    WandW_10th_SEPT_2010-077.gif
    72.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Buzz_10th_SEPT_2010-045.gif
    Buzz_10th_SEPT_2010-045.gif
    84.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
almost forgot to post a picture of todays star bird :smoke:

if anyone knows of an iPhone App which has a camera with a 8 frames per second motor drive then pls let me know.

Attachments

• PFly_10th_SEPT_2010-021.gif
    PFly_10th_SEPT_2010-021.gif
    106.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
RSPB Saltholme - am - Merlin (juv) in the reeds by the laybys on the west pond took off northwards heading across road and landed in trees near the reserve entrance before moving to the straw bales beside Sabic where mobbed by Swallows. Eventually flew of towards Dormans Pool.

Wildlife Watchpoint - Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Marsh Harrier, Greenshank x4, Ruff x7, Little Egret x2, Water Rail x2, Snipe x2.

North Gare this evening for the high tide - Curlew Sandpiper x2, Little Stint x5, Dunlin x15, Sandlering x9, Common Tern x7, Ringed Plover c.15 plus Turnstone and Redshank.

Seaton Common - Wheater x5 & Whinchat x5 on the golf course fence near the car park.

Attachments

• IMG_2308a.jpg
    IMG_2308a.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2329a.jpg
    IMG_2329a.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2342a.jpg
    IMG_2342a.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2054a.jpg
    IMG_2054a.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2130a.jpg
    IMG_2130a.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 68
A few photos from RSPB Saltholme this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0942a.jpg
    IMG_0942a.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0957a.jpg
    IMG_0957a.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1105a.jpg
    IMG_1105a.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1184a.jpg
    IMG_1184a.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1590aa.jpg
    IMG_1590aa.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 92
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back