• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mad (UK) Robin in the middle of the night (1 Viewer)

vinnielo

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour from a confused robin, who decides to sing his/her heart out in the middle of the night?

It's been happening tonight, and on some evening in the past two weeks.
I also notice it in my bed, and I'm probably asleep by half one. I wouldn't be surprised if it was out singing till the sun came up.

EDIT:
Bah, it's well documented:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/nocturnalsong/index.asp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/177index.shtml

Might be worth discussing, anyway.

Last edited:
Robins are after all closely related to Nightingales . . .

Let me guess there is a street light nearby, that provides them with the little light they need to sing by

"When do they get their rest?"

Short lives mean they have a lot to cram in when they are alive. We have the same at present. Territorial Robin males singing their little hearts out at 02:00 hrs. They grab short naps during the day.
Least, like all other living creatures, they get a long-lie-in when they are dead.

Regards

Malky. (Roll on death till I get a long lie-in!!)

Mary Evelyn said:
The robin here has sung all winter , day and night.The Blackbird is not far behind.

Thought , Malky 's remark was a bit sad .
Mary,I quite agree,Malky is a cynic:-C .But yes,the Blackbirds and Robins seem to outdo each other with their outdoor concerts.But what a sad place it would be without them,I doubt that Malky could wake up each morning and bring such joy with his singing;)

BlueJaybob said:
I have noticed that robins do stay up later than most birds but usualy get rest at night.

We have four (2 british, 2 european) in and around our garden and they can be heard singing away from about 2am onwards until about 7-8 at night. Once it gets truly dark they go quiet for about 6 hours.

I'm not a good sleeper and have often stared at the ceiling awake in the early hours listening to our Robins singing their heads off. I find it noisy, yet strangely restful. If it was light enough to see, I'd tell you if they were "red" or "chestnut-ish". Perhaps the British ones are safely tucked up asleep whilst those wild Europeans have been out partying all night and are just staggering home at 2 in the morning!

Duncan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back