• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal 100 F-ED Question (1 Viewer)

HoosierGuy

I have a Celestron Regal 100 F-ED spotting scope. I want to get into
digiscoping. My digital camera is a Sony DSC-W170 Cyber-shot 10.1 mega pixels. I read in the Celestron manual that some cameras can not achieve the right focus or something.

If I get an adapter, will my Cyber Shot DSC-W170 be able to achieve focus? And, where do I buy an adapter at a good price?

Thanks!

Most likely, you will be using the Sony along with the scope supplied eyepiece, or any other eyepiece to your liking (your scope uses 1.25" eyepieces). You should not have a focus problem.

Here is a link to a suitable universal adapter:
http://www.alpineastro.com/digital_photography/digital_photography.htm

The same adapter can be found at www.telescope.com

By the way, how is the view through your new scope? The sister scope to yours (Celestron Regal 65 F-ED) has received very favourable comments elsewhere in this forum.

Rmel66

Most likely, you will be using the Sony along with the scope supplied eyepiece, or any other eyepiece to your liking (your scope uses 1.25" eyepieces). You should not have a focus problem.

Here is a link to a suitable universal adapter:
http://www.alpineastro.com/digital_photography/digital_photography.htm

The same adapter can be found at www.telescope.com

By the way, how is the view through your new scope? The sister scope to yours (Celestron Regal 65 F-ED) has received very favourable comments elsewhere in this forum.

Rmel66

I looked up Celestron universal adapter on Amazon and a few other places and found it for around $40.00 I assume that one will work.

I'm very happy with the scope. I've not used it much though. So far it's been fine. My brother also uses it and he wants higher and higher magnification. He wants so much magnification to read the electric meter small print next to a house 155 yards away. He says he wants an Ethos 13mm eyepiece. My favorite eyepiece is a Pentax XW 14mm eyepiece.

We went to a lake state park today (Raccoon Lake in Indiana) and took the scope. I think it did nice with the zoom eyepiece supplied and also with the Pentax. My brother has been buying something called Multipliers or something to get more power out of it. I think they are like barlows or something. I don’t know. I’m not interested in super high power. I just want enough to bring in a bird across a pond.

I'm hoping I can digiscope with this scope and camera. I would love to take this scope to some wetlands and take some up close pictures of some Great Blue Herons.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back