• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Robins, male v female (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
Ok, now years ago it was finally revealed to me how you could tell the differfence between male and female robins. It's to do with the redness of their cheeks/face- one has a V-shape of brown descending down into the red (on the crown I guess?) and one has a U. Unfortunately, I have FORGOTTON which is which, in fact I can't even remember ever remembering! V's and U's are pretty similar in shape too I would think, when it comes to feathers... being all feathery and able to blow about in the wind, making the shapes look like wiggles rather than U's or V's!

Is there someone more knowledgeable who knows which sex is V and which is U so I can get it drilled into my mind? Then I can see if it is possible for the discerning eye to tell males and females apart!

While we're on this subject of the difference between males and females (birds that is, woe betide getting into a discussion about HUMANS, arrgh!), I heard very recently that male bluetits have ULTRA VIOLET heads! Not that we can see it, but I just thought that was very cool coz I never knew that!

Last edited:
They are actually completely inseperable, even in the hand, unless of course they happen to have a brood patch or large cloacal protruberance....but lets not go there. I suspect there is a little bit of size difference.

interestingly from a book by Dominic Couzens

'Angle of brown on forehead braking into the red of the face forms a "U shape" in males and "V shape" in females'

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back