• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Many Lists Do You Keep? (1 Viewer)

Nightjar61

David Daniels
United States
I consider myself a fairly obsessive lister, keeping a total of 19 lists. They include my Word/Life List, North America/ABA Area List, Holarctic Region List, Palearctic Region List, Oriental Region List, Neotropical Region List, Africa List, Asia List, Europe List, South America List, Caribbean List, Indiana List, Arizona List, California List, Colorado List, Florida List, Illinois List, Year List, and a Subspecies/"Escrow" List.

I only keep state lists for those states where I've lived or birded extensively, and plan on returning to someday.

So how many lists do you keep?

Dave

Wow, Dave! I guess you would have to keep so many lists if you bird in so many places. I keep just three lists; a life list, local patch list, and a house list.

UK Life List
UK Year List
UK Self-found Life List
UK Self-found Year List
Bedfordshire Life List
Bedfordshire Year List
Bedfordshire Self-found Life List
Bedfordshire Self-found Year List
Cambridgeshire Life List
Cambridgeshire Year List
Cambridgeshire Self-found Life List
Cambridgeshire Self-found Year List
Norfolk Life List
Sweden Life List
Patch 1 Life List
Patch 1 Year List
Patch 1 Self-found Life List
Patch 1 Self-found Year List
Patch 2 Life List
Patch 2 Year List
Patch 2 Self-found Life List
Patch 2 Self-found Year List
Birdforum Members Met List

23?! Me obsessive? nooooooooo!!

Inadvertantly, I've just made another! A List of my Lists!;)

Last edited:
ROFLMAO@Darren |:d|

WELL...I COULD attempt to beat Darren's 23 but modesty forbids LOL I only keep

1. Life List
2. Year List
3. Northumberland List
4. Garden List
5. Patch List
6. Walking to shops for morning paper List (not as dull as it may first seem as I have to go down a big hill, through a village, around a farmyard,down a road past pond and then along a winding country lane! There and back is about five miles and takes a good hour & half IF i don't take bins with me and just walk steadily!...otherwise three hours LOL)

Think that's it...what a boring birder I must be LOL

Oh, just thought of another one that I could start to keep...Birds Seen Whilst On Driving Lesson List!!! Though, on second thoughts,perhaps not...could be too distracting and a mite dangerous ;)

GILL

At my level, one list pretty much covers all the info. But I am going to start a year list in 2005. I expect to see about 100 species, so I am not really going at it very seriously, the year list.

A diary might be more fun to keep, as my current one is pretty messy, loose leaf pages in a binder.

I keep two lists of birds seen--a life list, and a year list. I don't get to travel enough to keep lists for different states/countries.

I also have a wish list of birds I hope to see. The wish list always has 14 birds on it, and every time I see a species on this list, it is replaced by another.

Oh, almost forgot, I also have a list of birds seen out the window of the office where I work. This is very modest, only 13 species.

Well lets see......
World Lifelist
Aba Lifelist
Aba Yearlist
Texas Lifelist
Texas Yearlist
Henderson County Lifelist
Henderson County Yearlist
Navarro County Lifelist
Navarro County Yearlist
Local Patch Lifelist
Local Patch Yearlist
Yard List
At Feeder List
From Car list

For a grand total of 14. Anything less is just uncivilized. ;)

ER... Yes you CAN lose the memories! Or at least, they blur together after a while! Without my field notes and 'big logs', I'd never remember where I first saw which bird! But then I have got logs going back to 1958!
I keep the following:
Life List (UK only!)
Norfolk List
France List
Seen from boats list! (That's my fave!)

British list.
year list.
county list.
4 local patch lists.
month list.
birds found on my own.
back garden list.
1st of Jan list

a grand total of 11, any more would be excessive!

I have a Life List subdivided into UK and the three counties I have lived in (Lancashire, Gwynedd and Bedfordshire) and a year list. The subdivisions on my life list are somewhat arbitrary because I was born in Bury, Lancashire and it has now become Bury, Greater Manchester and the counties of North Wales have been revised yet again.

Ian

What about a target list? I have a list of all the not-so-rare stuff that I desperately want to see but somehow continues to elude me such as Brambling, Hawfinch, Merlin............. Hopefully this list will continue to shorten - or will I be tempted to add more and more uncommon species?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back