• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

file size (1 Viewer)

dolores

i tried to upload some photos but it said my file size was too large (2164x1393)
dont really get it.could anyone explain what i have to do please

The guidelines for the gallery for file sizes are:

File Sizes
The gallery will not accept any photos over 200kb, although it is advisable to keep file sizes below 100kb where possible, as many users will just not bother viewing your photo if it is too large.
Dimensions
The gallery will automatically reduce the dimensions of any photos above 800 x 800. However, it may also reduce the quality of the photo in the process, so if you can it would be a good idea to resize it in your chosen photo-editing software before you post it.
Roughly similar rules apply to attachments to threads.

You should use software like Photoshop to reduce the pixels/files size. Just ask if you need any more help.

File size

dolores said:
i tried to upload some photos but it said my file size was too large (2164x1393)
dont really get it.could anyone explain what i have to do please

Just right click on the photo you want to up load, then click resize - then click on small-then on OK and thats it job done.
Stan.

Last edited:
ok tried that. rt clicked but does not show a resize option.i have
photoshop elements 2.is this the problem ?

stanacko said:
Just right click on the photo you want to up load, then click resize - then click on small-then on OK and thats it job done.
Stan.

In PS2 Choose "Image, Resize, Image Size" from the menu. Size the photo to fit the BF limits.

Choose "File, Save for Web " from the menu and adjust the jpg quality to make sure the file size is within BF limits. Click OK and save the file under another name.

You should now be able to upload.

new images

hope ive changed the image size ok.
ok some of the first photos taken with my nikon D50 and sigma 170-500mm lens.i feel they abit unfocused but i did zoom and crop and also adjusted brightness etc.
comments please

Attachments

• hoopoe2forthe-web.gif
    hoopoe2forthe-web.gif
    360.7 KB · Views: 159
  • hoopoe-for-the-web.gif
    hoopoe-for-the-web.gif
    358.6 KB · Views: 166
dolores said:
hope ive changed the image size ok.
ok some of the first photos taken with my nikon D50 and sigma 170-500mm lens.i feel they abit unfocused but i did zoom and crop and also adjusted brightness etc.
comments please

Blimey Hoopoe for starters. Good going!

I've noticed a couple of things from your pics where the previous post might need expanding. The file size is still big and the image is a GIF file.

My way of sizing files for the gallery in elements is,
Go to image>resize>image size
Tick resample image and change the drop down to bilinear
In pixel dimensions change the largest number to 800
Click OK

To view the resized image go to view>actual pixels.

The picture should still look OK.

To save the pic for the web
Go to File>Save for web
On the right hand side change GIF to JPEG
By altering the quality you should see the changes in the original and jpeg pictures. You should be able to alter the size to 100k or less and not degrade the picture quality.
Click OK and save your resized picture in a new folder and make sure that this is the image you upload to the web.

Hope that helps

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back