• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very short literary quiz (1 Viewer)

James Blake

chasing the shadow of a lowskimming gull
(1) In The Hound of the Baskervilles, what unlikely water bird is described as breeding in the bogs on Dartmoor?

(2) In John Fowles' novel The Magus, what Sylvia warbler catches the eye of one of the main characters? (Clue: the novel is set on the Greek island of Spetses).

(3) What bird ID do Romeo and Juliet argue over?

(4) Who wrote this?

"Though there is no lonesome corncrake's cry
Of sorrow and delight
You can hear the cars
And the shouts from bars
And the laughter and the fights"

(5) And finally the missing words round. This is from Jane Austen's Persuasion:

"If one happens only to shut the door a little hard, she starts and wriggles like a young ******** in the water."

James

2. Sardinian Warbler, ...I think. Superb novel anyway, one of my very favourites. Might have to re-read it just to make sure.

E

Edward said:
2. Sardinian Warbler, ...I think. Superb novel anyway, one of my very favourites. Might have to re-read it just to make sure.

E

Not Sardinian - unless my memory is at fault! It is a regular vagrant to Britain.

One of my very favourite novels too.

James

James Blake said:
Darrell is right on 4 and 5.

James L - VERY good!!

Q3 - R. and J. hear a bird and have a doubtless tender argument about whether it is a lark (so it is early morning) or a nightingale (so it is still night).

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back