• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 8x42 Legend Porro or Yosemite 8x30 ? (1 Viewer)

How does the Celestron Ultima DX 8x32 (or 10x50) compare to the Bushnell Legend or Nikon AE. Thanks for info so far.
CJ

I'd say the DX are in the same ballpark as the Legend but get spanked by the SE for sharpness, brightness and color saturation (doesn't everything?).

The sharpness of the DX is as good as the Legend in normal day to day use. Even the brightness is close but I suspect the Legend just wins at twilight (I've tried them ... it's close but there is a difference).

They DX and Legend weigh about the same. Both are made in China. Focus action is a bit lighter on the DX.

I need to do a bunch of comparison testing on my extended porro collection ... not so easy in the winter.

There was a Celestron Ultima DX 10x50? I would have expected a 10x42 (but I always suspected there were supposed to be bigger bins sharing the same oversized prisms, eyepieces and prisms enclosure).

My impressions of the focusing mechanism and the bridge design pretty much mirror Kevin's. The bridge does not rock at all when I press the eyecups against my face. I have had a few porros that did exhibit this annoying feature.

The 8x42 Legend porros continue to impress me. I think they, and the Cascade porros, are probably my two favorite porros right now.

I made a comment that I recognized the bridge ... I was playing with all my porros yesterday and when I picked up the Yosemite I realized that's when I saw the same style of bridge.

The DX may share the same bridge style too.

That seems to be a good thing: these bridges seem to do the job quite well.

How is the neckstrap that is comming along with the Bushnell Legend 8x42, a bit paddy or just a wire(..)?

Pretty good.

Long enough to be useful though not quite long enough to be perfect!

Bushnell straps are pretty decent (and common across a lot of the range now except on the Elites).

What would be the optical difference between a Bushnell Legend or Nikon AE and a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 nonED?

I cannot say as I have yet to try either of the Audubon models. I can say that I find the Bushnell Legend porro to be a bit better optically in comparison to the Nikon AE. The color representation is more neutral and the image is just a hair sharper. I would also offer that the Bushnell has more than adequate eye relief (15-16 mm minimum as I can see the full field of view). I believe the Audubon has an actual eye relief level less than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back