• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Top marks Nikon (1 Viewer)

That is an extremely naive post. Try telling sports shooters that to their faces. If you need more discussion on why a D400 is needed then any of the well known Nikon forums will oblige you. Try FM and Sportshooters for starters.

"Try telling sports shooters". I gather from that your just passing on comments rather than 1st hand experience. All my pro colleagues & friends use D4's and D3s's for sports and for wildlife use D4's and D800 D700's. I use the latter 2 and since moving to FX haven't had the need or desire to reach for a cropped sensor.

As this is a wildlife forum I don't really care what the sports fraternity desire.

My question is still valid. Why do Nikon need to develop a DX pro body. I've still yet to hear a convincing argument.

Anyway all this is off topic, the Df us a superbly styled FX body.

"Try telling sports shooters". I gather from that your just passing on comments rather than 1st hand experience. All my pro colleagues & friends use D4's and D3s's for sports and for wildlife use D4's and D800 D700's. I use the latter 2 and since moving to FX haven't had the need or desire to reach for a cropped sensor.

You can check out my SmugMug for some events I've covered - though I tend only to put a handful of the thousands of shot on there since it's mainly for my bird shots. However Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Sailing & X-Games are most of the sports I've covered. So NO not passing on comments but YES 1st Hand experience.

And I've shot them with both DX & FX cameras. As to D400 - if you can't be bothered going to the proper forums to enlighten yourself, why should we put forward the arguments here ?

I currently use a D800E and D3s. And I'd buy a D400 with the right configuration (to me) in an instant.

Last edited:
Great so you shoot sports well done but you still haven't answered my question. Why don't you pop to one of those forums you're so fond of and find an answer.

No idea what or who smugmug is but I doubt it will answer my question which you seem to have avoided again

May I suggest that you private message me from now on so this tiresome debate is hidden from the very nice members of this forum.

Dx pro-body is all about the combination of shooting speed and pixel density. The D300s is the second fastest camera in Nikon's current line despite its age, and out of the FF cameras only the D800 has a higher pixel density.

How important speed is depends on your style I guess. I know some people would say that if you can't get what you want with 4 or 5 fps you need to work on your technique. I would disagree with this though. If your trying to capture a precise moment as best you can, such as a Barn Owl fighting a Kestrel or a Shrike catching a bee, you want as many frames as possible. A lot can happen with the birds positioning in a fraction of a second.

FF has obvious advantages with landscape, low light, and macro photography but not so with telephoto.

Great so you shoot sports well done but you still haven't answered my question. Why don't you pop to one of those forums you're so fond of and find an answer.

No idea what or who smugmug is but I doubt it will answer my question which you seem to have avoided again

May I suggest that you private message me from now on so this tiresome debate is hidden from the very nice members of this forum.

Tiresome - yet you keep perpetuating it.

So first you want to say my opinion on the benefits of a D400 is invalid because I don't shoot sports (professionally) and when I show you I do that is also invalid (SmugMug is one of the largest hosting companies and the address is in my profile). It seems you are now being deliberately contrary.

As for the 'D400' issue, I'm not your lackey, you either just can't be bothered doing the legwork yourself (you are the one asking the question so don't expect others to do the work for you, you have already been pointed in the direction to answer your question) or you know already and are just being deliberately antithetical.

If you sincerely can't work out yourself why a 'D400' is beneficial then that is yet another reason to go to the Nikon forums and study the argument in depth rather than debating it here in a Df thread.

Dx pro-body is all about the combination of shooting speed and pixel density. The D300s is the second fastest camera in Nikon's current line despite its age, and out of the FF cameras only the D800 has a higher pixel density.

How important speed is depends on your style I guess. I know some people would say that if you can't get what you want with 4 or 5 fps you need to work on your technique. I would disagree with this though. If your trying to capture a precise moment as best you can, such as a Barn Owl fighting a Kestrel or a Shrike catching a bee, you want as many frames as possible. A lot can happen with the birds positioning in a fraction of a second.

FF has obvious advantages with landscape, low light, and macro photography but not so with telephoto.

Exactly Helios.

You may only get one chance with a rare bird under the right conditions, you want to be able to ID that bird and it may depend on wing or tail position to do that. Also for aesthetic purposes as you mentioned, 10 frames a second or 5 frames a second can make all the difference.

Being a Canon shooter this was never going to tempt me regarless of the price but it does seem like Nikon have gone for style over substance. Or as a Nikon shooting friend described it, "over priced and under specced". While the retro look doesn't float my boat I can see why it does appeal to many, just a shame that spent time designing the shell only to not give it worings to match.

Thom Hogan has written a couple of good articles on the Nikon df - what Nikon got wrong and what Nikon got right.

I sort of agree with everyone then disagree.

I’m with Steve on the DF’s design I do like it, it’s a reminder when the photographer made the decisions, not the camera.

I would have liked the DF in the Coolpix range.

I’m going to defend the D800, because the images are just stunning. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I know, it takes no prisoners. It does go on a 600mm lens, you can shoot 4 or 5 fps, and it delivers, especially with a remote. What you can’t do is wave it around like a mad ack-ack gunner. Wildlife photography is partly anticipation, patience and a large slice of luck.
There’s a huge misconception that to be a good wildlife photographer you have to be rattling off frame after frame….you don’t.
My new passion is dragonflies (DIF), which I shoot in single frame mode the images are pin-sharp, so that’s a myth that it’s no good for BIF. But you have to have quality glass, which is an expensive drawback.

On the DX argument, I don’t professionally come across any. People think they’re getting extra reach, but as I keep pointing out their sensor enlargement factors are fixed and the image quality dependent on the final resolution of the output device.
You can change the image area by increasing the focal length of a lens or getting closer to the subject whatever sensor size you have.
DX for sports photographers again is really not an argument in quality terms either, because the final destination for these images are printed basically on bog-roll, the printing process covers-up a multitude of mistakes and error. You can shoot at 10 fps and the sports editor won’t give a fig about pin-sharpness. As with wildlife photography, anticipation, skill and more awareness are more important factor.

One considerable advantage for the D800 is the MP's allow for far more flexible cropping when you have to meet a pixel requirement for submission into a competition or an agency. Steve was a winner in the recent Kowa competition with a great capture of a Red-footed Falcon in flight. The entries had to have the longest length a minimum of 2600 pixels. Much easier to do this with a 36MP camera rather than a 12MP one, especially for a bird in flight.

I'm a ack-ack gunner of a photographer and I wish to defend this style and the need for a high pixel density, high fps camera like the D400 or 7D mk II. Hopefully I'll get the time to create another thread for this in the near future, as I'm straying far from the original topic in this one.

I see that Amateur photography magazine has a first impression article. Overall very positive.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back