• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good lens for birds/wildlife? (1 Viewer)

bill123

Hi,

I am looking to buy my gf a lens for Christmas. I haven't a clue about photography unfortunately.

She has a D3000 and likes to photograph birds and wildlife. She only has the lens which came with the camera (18-50mm??) and from what I gather this is not suitable.

I have been researching for the last 2 days and come across the following 2:

Nikon 28-300mm VR
Nikon 80 - 400mm VR

My budget is up to £1000.

Would either of the above two be suitable? Is there a more suitable lens in the same price range?

Also, how would the above 2 compare to the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 for example?

Thanks in advance :t:

Last edited:
I'm not to up on exchange rates and UK prices, but the Nikkor 300mm f/4 AFS should be on your list. Partnered with the 1.4x teleconverter, it is a very capable wildlife/birding setup for a crop sensor camera like the D3000. Any of the long lenses you are considering really benefit from good support, so a nice stiff tripod should also be under consideration.

The other thing to keep in mind with regard to the 300 f/4 is that the rumor mill is cranked up that this lens will be replaced next year with a new lens with VR (image stabilization). This will probably be a super-nice lens, but will move the price up significantly, I would guess.

I haven't used any of the lenses you mention, so cannot give specific recommendations. The 28-300 is more of a travel/do-all lens, and it's great for that, but may not be the best solution for dedicated wildlife and bird photography.

regards and Merry Christmas,

Jim D.

Last edited:
I think the D3000 only focuses with AFS lenses, which rules out the older (non-AFS) 80-400 and the newer model is out of your price range.

I wouldn’t get the 28-300. That zoom range is a real compromise and for birding the lens will be set at the 300 end most of the time.

I can’t comment on the Sigma, but I would heartily endorse the recommendation from Jim D. above to consider the 300mm f4 (which comes within striking distance of your budget see http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-FX-Lenses/Nikon-AF-S-300mm-f4-ED-IF-Lens ). You or she could add the 1.4 converter afterwards. They are a stunning combination.

Bill

The other thing to keep in mind with regard to the 300 f/4 is that the rumor mill is cranked up that this lens will be replaced next year with a new lens with VR (image stabilization). This will probably be a super-nice lens, but will move the price up significantly, I would guess.

I predict the updated 300 f/4 lens will be way higher in price, but aside from VR/image stabilization advantages, it will offer an almost negligible improvement in image quality over the current model. At f/4 in a head-to-head comparison, the current 300mm f/4 was hard to distinguish from the f/2.8 VR lens costing over 4 times as much. See "Compared to Nikon 300mm f/4.0D AF-S'' on this page:
http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-300mm-f2-8g-vr-ii/5.

Nonetheless, I'm sure a lot of people will upgrade to the newer more expensive lens when it appears, and then there will be lots more used copies of the current lens available. I agree with Bill: You will eventually want to add the 1.4X teleconverter at some point. And the 300mm f/4 lens is so good that it will sort of outclass the D3000 body, so someday you may also want to upgrade the body. And consider adding a monopod for added stability (to make up for the lack of image stabilization). But all of those things can wait until you are ready.

Happy Holidays!
--Dave

Last edited:
Hi,

I am looking to buy my gf a lens for Christmas. I haven't a clue about photography unfortunately.

She has a D3000 and likes to photograph birds and wildlife. She only has the lens which came with the camera (18-50mm??) and from what I gather this is not suitable.

I have been researching for the last 2 days and come across the following 2:

Nikon 28-300mm VR
Nikon 80 - 400mm VR

My budget is up to £1000.

Would either of the above two be suitable? Is there a more suitable lens in the same price range?

Also, how would the above 2 compare to the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 for example?

Thanks in advance :t:

The Sigma 150-500 OS is a very good choice as a starter birdwatching lens and would match well with the D3000. Yes it can be bettered but for the money it is the cheapest reasonable bird lens.

I would support the 300/4 AFS lens too. I great lens and easy to handle. Add a nikon 1.4x and you're away.
Neil.

Might be above your budget but when the tamron 150-600 is available may be a superb option. Apart from that I would suggest the 300/4 Nikon plus a 1.4 tc.

I've heard US$1,500 mentioned for the new Tamron 150-600mm. That seems awfully low for a decent lens with (one would hope) some form of VR/IS, so if correct one has to doubt the quality.

Otherwise both the Sigma 150-500 and Nikon 300/4 (with either the x1.4 or x1.7 not the x2.0) are great. I'd go with the Nikon for the weight saving for your GF.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back