• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird feeder and attracting (1 Viewer)

jrmtl

hello all,

I am new to this bird feeder domain and I noticed a hummingbird near my zinnia's this weekend and would like to know how I can attract them ?

I just purchased a hummingbird feeder along with some nectar mix and i put outside attached under a pear tree in the shade.

Is this a good way to attract since I spotted one in the vicinity :)

thank you
JR

If you put a feeder out, they will come. However, please don't waste your money on nectar mix. Most of the authorities say not to use it. The best thing, and hummers love it, is a simple solution of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Some people will boil the water, others (like me) just use hot water from the tap. The hummingbirds up in Montreal will be starting their migration south soon, if they haven't already. So you might not see an abundance of them at this time of year. Good luck, they are great little creatures to watch.

Thank you for responding !

I just purchased 3.99$ Perky-Pet® Original Instant Nectar mix and followed instructions... is this OK ?

I hope i see at least a few , my wife would enjoy :)

JR

JR, I hate to tell you this, but I am pretty sure that makes a red solution - if it does please don't use it. The experts say the red dye is not good for the hummingbirds. I don't want to discourage you, feeding the birds, especially hummers (at least for me) is so much fun. The mixture of plain sugar and water is best. You should see some, especially as they migrate as the little ones are trying to put on weight and fat for that long trip. Good luck.
Lisa

U serious so I should remove that solution and replace or leave it for now? What a waste of money as I only meant well.

Why would it be sold if it's dangerous :(
So what mixture would u recommend for a 32 oz feeder

Dude, lissen:
The red dye ain't good for the birds. They get about 20 times more of that stuff than is healthy from feeders, plus the birds don't like it that much. Dig this: I put two feeders side by side, one with 1 / 4 sugar water and one with storebought red stuff. New birds always went for the red stuff, but experienced birds always went for the sugar water. The critters don't like the chemically taste.
So here's what you do. Chuck the red crud in the compost pile, and make your hummer water with one part ordinary table sugar and four parts water. It's better, it saves you money, what's not to like?

Dude, lissen:
The red dye ain't good for the birds. They get about 20 times more of that stuff than is healthy from feeders, plus the birds don't like it that much. Dig this: I put two feeders side by side, one with 1 / 4 sugar water and one with storebought red stuff. New birds always went for the red stuff, but experienced birds always went for the sugar water. The critters don't like the chemically taste.
So here's what you do. Chuck the red crud in the compost pile, and make your hummer water with one part ordinary table sugar and four parts water. It's better, it saves you money, what's not to like?

Dude lissen ? i think u meant "Listen" :)

Since i'm a beginner I will abide and hopefully the feeder will attract
So I swapped out the red poisonous dye with water and sugar

I really didn't want to have the red dye on my conscious

thank all !

JR, you didn't do anything wrong. A lot of people buy the nectar mix when they first start, we tend to think that if it is sold that means it is good, the companies are just trying to make money (the wrong way). The sugar and water solution is the best, for a 32 oz feeder it would be 8 ounces of sugar and the rest water. I'm glad you are enjoying the birds in the backyard and buying food and feeders. Just keep it up and you should see the hummingbirds coming in.

Thanks for the advice

I have yet to see one but not at home during the day though
Maybe my wife will see some :)

But I did spot one near some of my zinnia flowers so they must be close.

I will report back if the feeder works

JR

Not sure if feeder is too hidden as I hung it under a pear tree :)
I have yet to spot anything and liquid still same level but I guess they don't drink much :)

Maybe I'll put less next time.

What hummingbird feeder do you recommend?

Hi All,

New to this forum but have been feeding my hummers with a Hummermagnet and am now looking for a second feeder.

Any suggestions as to a very good quality durable feeder/Company to purchase from? I could reorder from Hummermagnet but am happy to get suggestions.

BZZzz!: We have hornets/yellow jackets out here in California so I need to find one that is bee-proof too.

Ew! Yech!: Oh, and anyone who can assist with preventing earwigs from getting into the feeder would be very much appreciated! :t:

Thanks!

Glenn
San Francisco Bay

Look through some of my old postings. I made one called the Supremely awesome Hummer Feeder out of a pharmacy pill bottle, an empty hot-sauce bottle, and a bit of stout string. It is a total winner, and relatively bee resistant. Use a 3/32 drill bit to make the beak holes, about a smidgen over the nectar level. If you want a store-bought feeder, get Best One from Poteet Texas. Well made, but bees like it.

Ounces or cups

... The sugar and water solution is the best, for a 32 oz feeder it would be 8 ounces of sugar and the rest water. ...

It might be of interest here that the specific weight of sugar and water is more or less the same. This means, you don't have to use scales to measure the amounts of suger and water; instead, you can also go by the volume, using a cup or whatever seems easiest.

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back