• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veiling glare Victory FL vs HT (1 Viewer)

PHA

Hello,

I have a question (I know james holdsworth and Troubador have both):

Between the Victory FL and the HT, is there, or can be see, any noticeable difference in the veiling glare control?

Thank you!

PHA

Hello,

I have a question (I know james holdsworth and Troubador have both):

Between the Victory FL and the HT, is there, or can be see, any noticeable difference in the veiling glare control?

Thank you!

PHA

Sorry PHA

I wish I could help but my FL is a 32mm and HT is of course 42mm so a comparison wouldn't help.

Lee

Hi Troubador,

Thank you, anyway.

I made the question because I had the 10x42 FL before my present HT and, if I remember well, the FL was somewhat better than the HT, in the control of the, really annoying to me, veiling glare

PHA

Last edited:
PHA,

I have the 10 FL and 8 HT, so I can't really vouch for the 10 HT for veiling glare but the 8x42 is excellent, better than the 10x42 FL in all circumstances. Less crescent glare or spiking as well, with better contrast in poor light or harsh light situations.

I'll add, as it may be useful for your circumstance, try varying the IPD. With my 8x42 HT, with the IPD slightly too narrow, I can get some annoying crescent glare in the outer parts of the FOV in bright light. With the IPD properly set, this glare disappears and I assume it falls outside of the exit pupil [or outside of where my eye can see it] with a wider IPD.

I have the 10x42 HT and not found any problem with glare. And it is true they are excellent in poor light conditions. I also have a 10x42 EL Dare I say I find the HTs better

Hi Rathaus,

Yes!! After trying side by side my HT 10x42 vs a NV 10x42, looking for veiling glare, the difference was HUGE in favour the NV!! The others optic atributes were very similar. The only thing the HT IS superior, to me, the ergonomics. As I said before, the NV will be my next binocular.
Thank you!

PHA

Hi Rathaus,

Yes!! After trying side by side my HT 10x42 vs a NV 10x42, looking for veiling glare, the difference was HUGE in favour the NV!! The others optic atributes were very similar. The only thing the HT IS superior, to me, the ergonomics. As I said before, the NV will be my next binocular.
Thank you!

PHA

PHA - after some years of reading your posts and viewing preferences, I knew you would instantly be attracted to the NV. I would have bet good money on it being the case. After my experience with the NV, I was about to PM you to urge you to try them, but then you suddenly did anyway! It comes as no surprise to me that you also note a huge instant difference re glare. Incredibly, this difference is noticeable almost constantly for me - not just at sunset or difficult light, although it is brilliant here too.

IMO, The NV is an incredibly special glass.

Rathaus

Hi Rathaus,

Thank you! Other NV users have said the same to me....The veilingglareless of the NV do reflects in their high quality general view, not only in dfficult light situations.

PHA

Are not Leicas ahead of other makes in this quality, not just the NV (though it may be the best among Leicas in this regard)? I am thinking in particular of the Ultravid, which I have had most experience with. Ahead of all other makes in general (across model ranges), possibly all models of other makes?

Hi Adhoc, speaking from personal experience I found my SVFP superior to my (recently sold) UVHD+ regarding glare control, still yet to spend enough time with a NV.

Hi Torview, thanks. On Googling after reading your post I find that the SVFP is found by others also to be excellent in this. But maybe across all models still Leica is better. The SV 8x32 is found by many to show glare that is disturbing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back