• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Bramblings of the year (1 Viewer)

MTem

Had my first Bramblings on the feeders in the garden for this year - 2 males and a female with the usual Chaffinch 'hosts'. On the Surrey/Sussex border near Gatwick.

Very early - I don't usually see any until late Jan/Feb. Linked to the Hawfinch influx??

Mick

Saw a brambling at Lindisfarne on October 22nd, presumably newly-arrived - I've seen coastal bramblings in October before. However, we never see them in my partner's central Northumberland garden before Christmas usually, unless the weather is exceptionally severe, and in recent years they haven't turned up before late February - March.
I think as others have said elsewhere, it is usually down to food availability in the countryside, so getting them on feeders this early does seem a little unusual.

Update on garden bramblings...my partner just sent me a photo of a brambling eating sunflower kernels, our earliest ever observation.

As the title doesn't say UK ;) I thought it a good place to mention that I had a great view of a cracking male Brambling this morning near Cabranosa, Sagres, Portugal. Its the first time I've seen one anything like well since about 1980! They are a very scarce passage bird here and usually only the odd one detected by call in flocks of migrating Chaffinches - and only some years. To get one on the ground feeding was a treat indeed.

They are a very scarce passage bird here and usually only the odd one detected by call in flocks of migrating Chaffinches - and only some years. To get one on the ground feeding was a treat indeed.

Brambling has the same status over here but this year there's been an influx. Even small flocks have been recorded over the past few weeks.

Everything seems to be slightly earlier this year that's the beauty of birds and never go by the books.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back