Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 1st July 2013, 20:51   #1
CalvinFold

Ravelli AVTP Tripod (budget tripod)

Since I see quite a huge range between the high-end digiscopers and the newbies wanting a budget approach, I figured I'd offer this mini-review for the budget-minded:

I've been working with a Velbon S-6000 hand-me-down from a photographer friend I know. A great tripod overall, actually quite like it for general use. But it wasn't quite up to snuff for digiscoping: I needed a sandbag suspended from the cross-supports to stabilize it for long zooms, and it was tricky to use a heavy scope on it.

So based on information from this site, I was looking for a budget scope that could hand 15+ lbs. of weight on the head, and was "fluid drag."

Based on Amazon.com reviews, I picked-up the Ravelli AVTP (note the "P"...apparently the "AVT" is not nearly as nice). It's listed as "Ravelii AVTP Professional 75mm Video Camera Tripod with Fluid Drag Head."

The reviews were spot-on: it can handle the weight (up to 20-25 lbs. at the head, if I recall), it is a little snug on the tilt but wonderfully smooth on the pan, and is heavy (a complaint by reviewers, but in my case, a good feature). Very adjustable, easy to deploy, easy to level, easy to lock. Very easy to lock-down before taking a photo.

My first time out with it was night-and-day with the Velbon. For the money, it's an excellent tripod.

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: