• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to hummingbird watching (1 Viewer)

suebeehoney

I have seen videos that people have posted that shows their feeders with lots and lots of hummers feeding all together. Even my daughter has a couple that always have tons of birds on them. I have two hanging feeders and one window feeder. And the most birds I have seen at a time is just TWO on one if the feeders. I see a lot of hummers chasing off another one. Why do some people get tons of bummers feeding and I only get one who chases off any others? Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the luck of the draw, so to speak?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Could just be the luck of the draw, could be others in your area have established feeders, could be your location (Southern CA has hummers all year, Northern CA not so much). There are a lot of variables. If you are new, just keep it up, eventually they will come.

Location is EVERYTHING. I have some feeders 20 feet up in oak trees that get five times the activity of my window feeder. I live on a hilltop, if I lived down by the river I would have tons more hummers.
Try this. Take a feeder and put it in the leafiest place you can find, even if it is not visible from your window. It may get bunches of activity.

I'm currently feeding over 28 hummers with just four feeders out. One feeder is dominated by an anna's male and he won't allow anyone near his feeder-which is why I keep his feeder further away from the others. If you do have a dominant guy, you'll have to separate the feeders further apart or he'll guard both of them. I'm guessing he's an older male and demands the respect of the others.

As for the other three feeders, the young anna's and rufous' all fight each other but eventually they all come up and take a drink together. It really depends on the time of day as to how they get along. If it's early in the morning or just before sundown you'll see more fighting.

Welcome to Bird Forum.

new to hummingbirds

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I put all three outside my kitchen window, in the back yard, so I could see them. I have a new HummZinger circular feeder that holds 16 oz., a new HummZinger window feeder, and my old, old school one that has four feeders. The new big one has 6. I will try hanging one of them up under the arbor in the shade to see what happens. Thanks. Just so envious of all the ones I see gathering in videos, and even at my daughter's in southern California!

I can't even say I'm new to watching hummingbirds - living in Europe I've never seen one. But I'm fascinated by the descriptions I get here. How many species can you get in a "good" area? Are they generally such confident birds ... or is it just a few species that dare come so close to where humans live?

Ivan

I can't even say I'm new to watching hummingbirds - living in Europe I've never seen one. But I'm fascinated by the descriptions I get here. How many species can you get in a "good" area? Are they generally such confident birds ... or is it just a few species that dare come so close to where humans live?

Ivan

Ivan,
Hummingbirds are migratory, in the summer the US has a lot more than the winter.
In the eastern part of the US most people will see Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, with an occasional Rufus. Sometimes others come to the east, but not often.
In the western US one can see Anna's, Black-chinned, Rufus, Allen's - depending on location.
In southeastern Arizona (where I live) we can see the following: Anna's, Black-chinned, Rufus, Allen's, Violet-crowned, Blue-throated, Magnificent, Broad-billed, Broad-tailed, Costa's, and Calliope's. If you are lucky you will also be able to see White-eareds, Lucifer's, Plain-capped Starthroat and Beryline. We also rarely get a lost Ruby-throated. I've been lucky to see all of these.
It really depends on where you live.
Lisa

Ivan

My only experience is with Ruby Throats and you can hold the feeder in your hand and some will generally feed. They are very bold.

I was at a home in Ecuador that had recorded 49 species. And that was 13 years ago. Back again this Christmas. As for my home. It's good to have at least 2 feeders - not in sight of each other. I like mine close and where I can see them. If there's ample room between a perch and the feeder - 1 individual will often guard. The nature of the beast. If there's loads of hummers - this individual will share.

Just south of me friends live on a grassy bluff - at the edge of the foothills. They're the only feeder(s) around. Massive numbers trump any guarding.

Anna's has Intrastate migrations. Numbers up and down throughout the year. The other 5 species I've had here are migrants from the South. The one most numerous (going north - then south) is Rufous. Numbers vary.

I've had 50 mixed individuals at a few feeders and 100 or so lurking. My friends (grassy bluff) many times that. Usually Rufous making a good percentage.

Another thing is consistency. Clean feeders changed twice a week. Year 'round. Migrants know my house. You don't have to fill it all the way up. Don't wait for it to be drained. Every 3 or 4 days - change.

One last thing. Little John Dwarf Bottlebrush. Rufous love. Give flower food in May for a 2nd (August) bloom. Great for southing Rufous.

Attachments

• 1gf.jpg
    1gf.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your answers! Probably one could find it all out reading five dozen articles too, but I much prefer it this way. Chris D, the picture has something surreal about it - absolutely incredible! I don't think I've even seen such a number of sparrows or tits around a feeder at a time.

Ivan

With a much larger (custom) feeder - a neighbor of mine in SE Alaska had 10 times the number feeding and buzzing. I made a few short videos this spring ay my home in California. While not great numbers - I do get to within 1/2 inch of a Calliope (our smallest). Also shown are Rufous, Black-chinned, and Anna's. Some fun fighting. They can be seen via a Facebook link I can send. You need a Facebook account to view. If anyone would like ----- write me at [email protected] I'll send send the links to your Email address.

Little Robot Birds

With a much larger (custom) feeder - a neighbor of mine in SE Alaska had 10 times the number feeding and buzzing. I made a few short videos this spring ay my home in California. While not great numbers - I do get to within 1/2 inch of a Calliope (our smallest). Also shown are Rufous, Black-chinned, and Anna's. Some fun fighting. They can be seen via a Facebook link I can send. You need a Facebook account to view. If anyone would like ----- write me at [email protected] I'll send send the links to your Email address.

I don't have a Facebook account, but I have found this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAj4uvuITe0

At about 1:30:40 they fill up the empty feeder again - after just a few seconds the birds come back!

If I hadn't read your descriptions first, I might have considered the video a ridiculous fake: With their abrupt movements and their insect-like agility these hummers just look unreal, like Little Robot Birds ...

Ivan

Last edited:
so keep the feeders away from each other, out of sight is that it? and clean it every 3,4 days. to get more than 1 hummingbird.

I have those sheperd's hook where there are 2 hanging hook at the top, one I put wild bird feeder the other hook I put hummingbird feeder. first 3,4 days it was ok but wild birds sometimes will gather 15 at once. maybe that scared off the only 1 hummingbird I have, she doesn't come as often as before. was that the reason or maybe I didn't mix the ratio right for the sugar/water or the soap smell is too great in the feeder? this female Calliope (Ithink) is really mean, constantly chasing off other hummingbirds. and when there were not that many wild birds in the next feeder she would circle around all of them lol. like what the hell are you doing here? not sure if problem is my feeder or the numbers of wild birds

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back