• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 contemporary (2 Viewers)

I really got greedy with the 'C' this morning - shot with a 1.4x tc (canon MkII) hand held at the full 840mm. Nothing special of course but not so bad considering. I have included the shooting data for those that may be interested.

Attachments

• gold1 840mm.jpg
    gold1 840mm.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 347
  • chaff1 840mm.jpg
    chaff1 840mm.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 167
  • gold2 840mm.jpg
    gold2 840mm.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 177
  • Robin1 840mm.jpg
    Robin1 840mm.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 259
you can't knock those roy .
Well as bird images they are aesthetically extremely poor Jeff with the main problems being that the birds are too large in the frame and the backgrounds are uninspiring but what it does hopefully show is that it is not impossible to capture reasonable detail when using a converter with the lens.

A few more Stonchats taken with the Siggy. Stonechats are great posers and reasonably approachable but the main challenge is not 'blowing' the white collar, this often means exposing for the white collar and then lifting the darker areas in processing.

Attachments

• stone04.jpg
    stone04.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 242
  • stone05 x 1024.jpg
    stone05 x 1024.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 248
  • stone06.jpg
    stone06.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 205
A near miss with this one today - it was my fault for not being quick enough with the trigger finger but I will try again.

Attachments

• gold1.jpg
    gold1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 282
That was with the bare lens Paul, I also used the 5D3 as the light was fairly poor and I needed a very fast shutter speed to freeze the action (it was 1/6400 sec).

I've always puzzled over how people achieve these shots. I assume that you have to pre-focus and shoot multiple shots, so how many would you get that are sharp? Tried it once when I had feeders and got just one shot that I was genuinely thrilled with but it had a lot of feeder in the image too and was soft.

I've always puzzled over how people achieve these shots. I assume that you have to pre-focus and shoot multiple shots, so how many would you get that are sharp? Tried it once when I had feeders and got just one shot that I was genuinely thrilled with but it had a lot of feeder in the image too and was soft.
I get quite a lot sharp shots Paul but often there is clipped wings or very ungainly poses. You can do this with All AF points active on the 7D2 as long as you have a fast AF point switching set. Its mostly about studying the birds as to when and where you are likely to snap them.

So you are using AF - I assumed that it was prefocus and hope to get one right. Hence the sky background. I did try head-on shots too - fun but unsuccessful!

So you are using AF - I assumed that it was prefocus and hope to get one right. Hence the sky background. I did try head-on shots too - fun but unsuccessful!
I have used pre-focus for this type of shot but like I said the 7D2 all point active seems very good and worth a try. I do semi pre focus in as much as the lens is pre focused at roughly the right distance, (I also use back button focusing which helps because firing the shutter does not effect the focus).
Here are a few earlier shots taken with the pre-focus method but these were more predictable as to where the bird would be, I also used manual metering for these. (Note taken with the 400/5.6 and 5D3 and not the Siggy)

Attachments

• blackbird leap02.jpg
    blackbird leap02.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 175
  • blackbird03.jpg
    blackbird03.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I have used pre-focus for this type of shot but like I said the 7D2 all point active seems very good and worth a try. I do semi pre focus in as much as the lens is pre focused at roughly the right distance, (I also use back button focusing which helps because firing the shutter does not effect the focus).
Here are a few earlier shots taken with the pre-focus method but these were more predictable as to where the bird would be, I also used manual metering for these. (Note taken with the 400/5.6 and 5D3 and not the Siggy)

Roy, many of your shots have a very soft look to them. Note that I do not mean soft like your shot is out of focus. I really do not know how to describe it very well. Perhaps it is the lighting they are taken in, or something you do in post. I think they look very nice, but it is not a look that I have ever gotten on any of my pics. As noted previously I generally try and shoot in full sun. My guess is that these are shots in diffuse light?

as has been said many many times isaac ,you simply cannot compare the light you get over there to what we get here ,this year in particular has been diabolical ,and even worse on the western and northern parts of the u.k .i.e i was out today and around midday it was literally cold enough for a wooly hat and gloves ,and its june on monday

i have seen pictures posted on another forum from someone that has just come back from your side of the states and his photos show the clarity we are lacking here .honestly you would have to experience it to know

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back