• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray Optics ED4 Binos Release (1 Viewer)

Susan W

Zen-Ray Optics ED4 Binos
Weren't these supposed to be released mid-July? Anyone have any info... or doing a beta review?
Thnx-Susan W:-C

Zen-Ray Optics ED4 Binos
Weren't these supposed to be released mid-July? Anyone have any info... or doing a beta review?
Thnx-Susan W:-C

Best I have been able to tell, nothing ever happens fast at Zen-Ray. My guess is they are a company of 3 or 4 people and probably have a lot of balls in the air at once.

It will happen when it happens, but if it is close to the Prime, it should be worth the wait.

Best I have been able to tell, nothing ever happens fast at Zen-Ray. My guess is they are a company of 3 or 4 people and probably have a lot of balls in the air at once.

It will happen when it happens, but if it is close to the Prime, it should be worth the wait.

K…thnx. Just that I need to purchase new binos in time for fall hawk migration in MA.

Susan .... Keep an eye on the Zen-Ray Facebook page. Charles has posted news there before it appears here on the Forum.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zen-Ray-Optics/116090708403998

Have you tried sending him a PM from the Forum. He does check them sometimes.

Thnx BruceH for your reply… I posted a question, regarding the ED4, on their fb page on June 21. However, appears they haven't posted anything since Nov 2014.
Charles had indicated that they were seeking people to "beta test" the ED4s… so I wondered if anyone, like SteveC, was in the process of reviewing them as of yet.

I wasn't one of the ones that requested a demo but I haven't heard a peep from Charles since he posted here last.

I have no plans at present to review the ZEN ED 4. Like Frank, it has been some time since I have heard from Charles too.

I have no plans at present to review the ZEN ED 4. Like Frank, it has been some time since I have heard from Charles too.

Thanks so much for your input, Steve! ' Was so hoping it would be released in time to check it out prior to this fall's hawk migration in MA.

Thanks so much for your input, Steve! ' Was so hoping it would be released in time to check it out prior to this fall's hawk migration in MA.

Hostly, I'd probably look for something that has been on the market a year or so. I aint much of an early adopter.

The Prime HD is a smoking good glass if you want a Zen, as are a bunch of others.

Sightron 8X32 bluesky is next on my list.

Hostly, I'd probably look for something that has been on the market a year or so. I aint much of an early adopter.

The Prime HD is a smoking good glass if you want a Zen, as are a bunch of others.

Sightron 8X32 bluesky is next on my list.

Thnx so much for your time and insight, Perterra! I was hoping FrankD or SteveC would have reviewed the ED4s by now. I'm afraid I'm a little suspicious of any 8x being up to the job when it comes to counting hawks during fall migration. But I will see if I can test drive your recommendations.

Thnx so much for your time and insight, Perterra! I was hoping FrankD or SteveC would have reviewed the ED4s by now. I'm afraid I'm a little suspicious of any 8x being up to the job when it comes to counting hawks during fall migration. But I will see if I can test drive your recommendations.
Most of the dedicated hawk counters I know use 8X bins. Some use 10X but most default to 8X because the magnification is, generally speaking, more relaxing. Also, 8X usually has a greater FOV. I've used 7X, 8X and 10X. Since 2004, my 8X32 SE has seen the most hours but this year I suspect that will change. The 10X50 Swarovision is so much fun I plan on using it almost exclusively, especially for raptors.

The question is really based on duration. If you're staring at the sky through a hand-held bin for long periods of time your physical strength is the determining factor in your ability to locate and identify birds. A shaky bin guarantees you'll miss distant birds others are talking about. All things considered lower power = greater stability. A 10X sounds great at the keyboard but if you can't hold it steady at the hawk watch you're not going to find much in the sky.

Susan,

I would agree with Pileatus's comments with regard to magnification. I prefer 7x and 8x bins for hawkwatching because of the more relaxed experienced (greater field of view coupled with better depth of field). That may be related to how I hawkwatch though. I enjoy finding the birds first which is where my previous comments are directed....and then IDing them based on behavior.

In addition to the binoculars I also take my small spotting scope with me on most hawkwatching excursions. Using it with a low magnification (18x in this case), wide angle eyepiece compliments my specific choice of binoculars.

More magnification is not the ever present, always correct binocular answer. 8x is plenty for raptors out to several miles. Contrast and ease of view rules more so than magnification.

Looks like Zen Ray is a 3 person company, if so the forums are probably an after thought when trying to keep up with the day to day running of the company.
And who are the three? There have been a few complaints about the company responding to warranty claims and I have not heard of any remedies. Let's hear from the insiders who've promoted this company for years.

And who are the three? There have been a few complaints about the company responding to warranty claims and I have not heard of any remedies. Let's hear from the insiders who've promoted this company for years.

Charles is one, no idea on anyone else. LOL
http://www.manta.com/c/mr5dfpz/zen-ray-optics-l-l-c

From what I see, it's a guy trying to build a business, on a shoe string. Theres not millions of bucks being made.

More magnification is not the ever present, always correct binocular answer. 8x is plenty for raptors out to several miles. Contrast and ease of view rules more so than magnification.

Thnx, Steve. In alphas that appears to be the case. Was seeking a reliable, yet affordable alternative. So that's why I hesitate on an 8x.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back